2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

I’d never consider climbing Everest, but if I did, I’d 100% hire one.

My need to hire one is just one of the myriad reasons I’d never do it, so the whole thing is moot.

I read somewhere that the 2nd highest peak on all 7 continents is more difficult than the highest peak.

Definitely makes sense for S America, Africa and Europe. Although I don’t think it’s true for N America - Denali.

The climb of Mount Logan, Canada’s high­est peak, is sim­i­lar to Denali in expe­di­tion char­ac­ter and length, yet more extreme due to its remote­ness and lev­el of com­mit­ment.

I’ve got a nice little 600-meter mountain about 10 minutes from home–a fun one-hour climb. As close to Everest as I care to get.

2 Likes

Well now I had to google it…

What’s the Logan fatality rate though? I’m sure it gets orders of magnitude less climbers.

Also Denali is probably going to attract a lot more amateurs.

Yea true, the Mt Logan deaths per 1000 summit attempts stat would be more helpful, which I can’t seem to find.

Yeah seriously. One of my favorite authors and creative people of all time. Just ugh.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Have you not seen how ridiculous climbing Everest is? It’s just a fucking escalator of people getting hauled up the mountain by sherpas, it doesn’t take any skill, very little endurance, and a lot of money to get towed up there. It is really sad.

1 Like

I would like to see how many of the people paying to get carried up Everest have climbed any other peaks? There is no challenge to getting in line and following someone else’s trail up a mountain. This picture is 11 years old:

This isn’t guy’s free soloing a shear wall like Alex Honnald, this is dentists who didn’t want to buy a Harley.

3 Likes

There are some really good climbing movies made after Free Solo, this one is a pretty good counterpoint to what it takes to climb the other big peaks in the world:

3 Likes

The average trailhead within an hour of Seattle.

1 Like

Yea this one was referenced above right? It was inspiration for the woman that died

1 Like

There was an episode of Dave attel’s insomniac where he visited a waste water treatment plant and he had a bunch of jokes about the orange lifesaving rings meant to save people if they fell in like, just put a shotgun there and put me out of my misery if I fall into an Olympic sized swimming pool of shit, there’s gonna be no coming back from that in life.

2 Likes

The first book I read in the Culture series opens with a shitty situation. I wasn’t too eager to read on but I did.

1 Like

LOL at anyone who thinks climbing Everest isn’t challenging just because there are sherpas and attached climbing ropes.

P.S. No one climbs Everest solo.

You need to be in somewhat decent shape, but certainly not in elite shape. It’s more dangerous than it is a physical challenge.

If there has ever been a greater athletic achievement than Honnold’s free solo of El Capitan in just under 4 hours, I’d like to know what it is

2 Likes