2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Just had it happen but at the end of an episode, so it cut off the last portion and ended with the end of the clip from earlier. No way to finish the episode now without finding it on a different platform maybe.

1 Like

Aren’t there some scams where they can get the patent extended for years due to new investigations of other formulations or something?

Yes but they charge many multiples in the US compared to other countries. Because we are stupid.

Yes, it’s probably been patented multiple times for improvements and the “pen” delivery system, and maybe better manufacturing, etc. However, the patent on the very basic version will expire. You’re probably thinking of patents on “extended release” or oral formulations, which companies try to make the standard of care, but the basic versions are still off patent and that will be important for Ozempic and similar semaglutide drugs.

Edit: This is interesting. Will be fun when the Supreme Court sides with the drug makers.

Think there even shadier stuff than though. Like the companies will sue the generic manufacturers over stuff and the settle the suits so nobody is allowed to sell the generic even though it’s off patent for awhile. Think a recent drug example was Latuda / Lurasidone, generics were approved in 2019 when it patent expired but legally couldn’t be sold until 2022 for reasons I can’t understand.

Settlement in a patent infringement case where the generic manufacturers agreed to wait.

Right but I would think it’s not like they would have just intentionally tried to sell a generic drug they knew was still on patent so must have been some sort of BS secondary patent that effectively extended the original patent by however long they agreed to wait which doesn’t seem to be the spirit of how drug patenting should work. I certainly could be misunderstanding though

Called “pay for delay”

The case was a question of whether the patent covered only a racemic mixture of two enantiomers in a certain ratio or if it applied to both enantiomers in any ratio.

And presumably only one enantiomer is active.

NSFW

https://x.com/hartgoat/status/1804373022238761328?t=SYZpyklXNw-pUioJr0Fuyg&s=19

That’s pretty good but I feel pretty bad for her. I’m sure she thought it was some silly comment nobody on earth would ever see. I don’t see how this ends in anything but suffering for her.

2 Likes

1 Like

I had to explain the Hawk Tuah meme to my wife today.

3 Likes

Lol

Hmm.

Interesting question.

I mean. Obviously the best way of organising this is government funded medical research and at cost generics for the planet.

But. If we are forced to capalism, then patents and early profits then free for ever seems like a good starting point.

The problem is for literal life saving drugs. How can we ensure this doesn’t result in people dying?

If government can subsidise or pay the cost of the drug, then that’s expensive, but it’s reasonable, for exactly the reasons you said.

But for something this important, I don’t think government can buy for everybody.

Maybe you need a cap on true miracle drugs. Like, a forced acquisition of the patent by the government for a very large amount, then it’s generic for everyone. Accepting the status quo seems to result in too many sklansky deaths.

Demonstration?

1 Like

The intermixed conversations itt with one post being about detailed explanations of drug patents and scientific terminologies, and the next being about the sound of a woman spitting on a guys dick makes for quite an interesting read as I get caught up on the thread each time.

3 Likes

Well at the very least it seems like she’s gonna make some cash on the way.

I’m not even sure suffering endgame is a lock.

The speed at which the entire ordeal played out is unnerving.

I think she has a decent chance of the story getting memory holed.