2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Imagine having this trend and thinking immigration is a bad thing. The right is so stupid.

Imagime having this trend and thinking the reason is abortion.

1 Like

Ah yes, we must protect the right to contract! It’s right there in the plain text of the Constitution if you squint.

1 Like

Good ole Lochner era.

1 Like

NEW YORK (AP) — New York’s highest court on Thursday overturned Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 rape conviction, finding the judge at the landmark #MeToo trial prejudiced the ex-movie mogul with “egregious” improper rulings, including a decision to let women testify about allegations that weren’t part of the case.

“We conclude that the trial court erroneously admitted testimony of uncharged, alleged prior sexual acts against persons other than the complainants of the underlying crimes,” the court’s 4-3 decision said. “The remedy for these egregious errors is a new trial.”

No limits to how far the US legal system will go to give the benefit of the doubt to rich white dudes.

1 Like

A huge contingency of Canadians are ready to ban immigrants because of high housing prices. These are the exact same people that oppose the construction of any more housing near their house.

1 Like

Freakonomics interviewed Trudeau this week. Pretty interesting. Stark how progressive he sounds compared to similar interviews with US politicians.

The election isn’t going to be about the reality of Trudeau’s policies, it’s going to be about whether people will accept PP’s phoney baloney narratives about how a) their lives suck and b) it’s all Trudeau’s fault. I think PP has it wrapped up, hardly anybody wants to believe that actually governing is hard and sometimes you don’t get what you want no matter how much you feel like you deserve it.

I think this is true at the federal level, it’s the national guardspeople under orders from DeSantis, Abbott, etc that I’m worried about. I think the issues around Gaza are secondary to their (and their supporters’) desire for authoritarian control.

I think your pony got raptured

1 Like

Good news/bad news: we all got raptured, but this is heaven.

3 Likes

Maybe they mean next April 23

1 Like

lol good god

Surely you can piece together how a coalition based on racism (not economic prosperity) isn’t all that thrilled about making up for a shortfall of (white) babies with (brown) immigrants.

https://twitter.com/harrisalterman/status/1783511545030262860

https://twitter.com/harrisalterman/status/1782433263094841727

5 Likes

I have zero data but this seems like the optics are horrible for Republicans, the cops are not supposed to be roughing up white college students, even if they’re uppitly liberals. Have to imagine a lot of parents are not comfortable with howt Abbott is handling this.

Seems like they could be using AI to make these students appear less white imo.

1 Like

I don’t even want to know