2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

There’s an Apple store just down the street from me, I’d buy as much of their inventory as I could then resell it.

2 Likes

Some good ideas but given the spatial and time limits I don’t see any that gets close to spending the whole $500k. It’s a surprisingly difficult task. I think you would be lucky to spend $100k.

There’s a Bentley/Rolls dealer 10 minutes from me. Yes, car paperwork takes longer than 20 minutes, but I’m pretty sure if I pick a $400,000 car and say “I’ll give you this $500K for that car” they’d say “Sold!” and the rest would be details.

Failing that, if traffic was nonexistent I could make it to the diamond district and just buy as many rocks as possible at the first place I walked into.

Here is my new hooptie

1 Like

If this is your strategy, just spend 30 minutes walking around looking for a person that you think is most deserving and give it to them.

I’m like a 20 min drive from Worth Avenue, so I’d just head there and buy some art or jewelry. Either that or just buy a couple nice cameras and all the lenses I could ever want and then give the rest away.

At the South Strip Las Vegas location of Total Wine, there are 15 types of Scotch listed as available in store with prices between 20k and 66k. If you lived near a liquor store with that sort of inventory (and I do not), you could easily fit 500k of merchandise in a shopping cart.

Costco sells 1 ounce gold bars, they might have enough to get to 500k.

Fretting about the transaction time is nitting up the hypothetical

Think of it like the old school Toys R Us shopping spree they used to have on Nickelodeon. Whatever you bring to the finish line in your cart you get to keep so long as you don’t go over time or over budget.

2 Likes

That was the most brilliant promotion of all time. Imagining being able to run through a toy store and grab anything, thinking about which aisles you’d hit first, Nick knew what kids were into.

1 Like

Shit if youre in Vegas drop on down to the horseshoe and let it ride.

1 Like

Its a shame that the idea of the shopping spree is essentially dead now. Shop til you Drop was primo sick day watching

1 Like

Perfect 80s/90s kid sick day. Wake up 7:30, feel like shit. Tell mom. Back to bed, sleep til 10. Wake up, breakfast of some combo of dry toast/cereal/oj (sunny delight) etc.

Price is right, lets make a deal, Press your Luck, Supermarket Sweep, Shop Til you Drop.

Nap til 3:30

Batman/spiderman/Xmen depending on the year, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, 2 hours of The Simpsons reruns, Jeopardy, Wheel.

If you skip the afternoon nap, Nickelodeon is often running some combination of Guts, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Double Dare, Salute Your Shorts, Pete and Pete, or Clarissa

11 Likes

Mine was some combination of Price is Right, Petticoat Junction, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan’s Island, Hogan’s Heroes, Herculoids, G-Force, Laff-a-lympics, Space Ghost, Yogi’s Ark, Bonanza, Family Feud, Popeye, Road Runner, Speed Racer, Super Friends, Scooby Doo, Land of the Lost, Lost in Space, and a bunch more I’ve forgotten.

I even got into Days of our Lives one summer since there was nothing else on that hour. Is Victor still on that show? He’s gotta be dead right?

The best week ever was Godzilla movie week.

“So it’s later that same day …”

I wasn’t sick but was out of school for MLK Jr day in 1994 (January 17). Some may remember that as the day of the Northridge Earthquake, which totally derailed my standard home from school TV shows and apparently left an impression on me 30 years later.

Dorothy: What’s so funny?
Blanche: Oh, Marmaduke. Look at how he drives that car. Ha ha ha! I love my comics. Every day, Marmaduke and Apt. 3G.
Dorothy: Wow, I haven’t read Apt. 3G since… 1961.
Blanche: Oh, well let me catch you up. It’s later the same day…

Weird i remembered this joke being about a soap opera.

1 Like

Give them… the experience of watching me burn $500,000 from up close? idk sounds kinda mean

2 Likes

Lets see, based on that lineup, you are roughly 7-10 years older than me

I’m 59. Looks pretty familiar.

Brady Bunch, Partridge Family and maybe swap out some for earlier cartoons like Rocky and bullwinkle and Johnny Quest.

Think of the executive rewards check you would get at the end of the year! and if it doesn’t come out to 500k you can spend $1.50 on a food court hotdog

1 Like