2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

It’s the water

1 Like

We rolled Copilot out to a limited number of people (could be 5%, could be 50%, idk) last week. I think right now it’s integrated with Outlook, PPT, Teams, and Excel. I’m one of the people with it and haven’t found a single solid use case for it yet. Supposedly people like the ability to enable copilot in a Teams meeting and have it spit out meeting minutes afterwards, which I tried once and found to be better than expected but still meh.

In contrast, we also have an internal ChatGPT-based Gen AI tool that I use ~weekly.

The version we have is not integrated into the various apps. You have pro/365/whatever it’s called I think. I have the junior version.

I read on twitter that the earthquake was caused by hasidic jews digging tunnels too deep into the earth’s crust

2 Likes

3 Likes

https://x.com/DougJBalloon/status/1776284970920628640

10 Likes

I have the junior version.

It’s mildly useful for. “I want to do this in excel/word/outlook which buttons do I press”

2 Likes

Minimum wage gets rid of shitty owners (in the capitalism sense) without making them worse off.

https://twitter.com/arindube/status/1776311680177189311?t=Updxbti9F2cdrIA2B-Dscw&s=19

https://twitter.com/jdcmedlock/status/1776332856790597950?t=0O7M-vMZrhdwJR2fPaixHw&s=19

1 Like

Was thinking about this earlier about cuz of a poster on Twitter I think talking about some cafe in Cali that closed, coulda been on here I dunno but talkin about how workers showed up expecting their new pay and instead they had closed permanently and of course was pointed out as a bad thing by the right, but 1) fuck those owners run a better business that can pay living wage, and 2) now these people can go to any other similar job in the area which I’ve heard all need help with labor shortage and then still get 20 an hour, only one that loses is the shitty owners

1 Like

Small legos were the culprit in my house.

So cute watching Americans panic at an earthquake we Japanese residents would sleep though like a baby.

https://x.com/johnny_suputama/status/1776370606335832304?s=46&t=SVCqsICYH3gAZg7x0_hPmg

Tbf I think most Americans are laughing too

But also it’s probably different if you’ve never experienced an earthquake and are surrounded by old tall buildings

It’s easy to joke but as a native Californian seeing brick and stone buildings back east made me nervous. Places like CA, Japan, and Taiwan are literally built for earthquakes. Places like Turkey and Mexico should be to, but corruption, poor regulations, etc.

Yeah, the truth is that earthquakes, of any magnitude, are no joke. But if you live in a place where they are frequent, you do get “used” to them, and that’s probably not a good idea.

I’ve never experienced an earthquake. Sort of want to. The science is so interesting.

1 Like

I was in Vegas for that one during wsop 5ish years ago. I was up pretty high in my hotel room and all of a sudden the whole building felt like I was in a boat swaying back and forth. I was very confused at what was happening. I think I left that day or the next and missed the last of that sequence which was the strongest.

Something I’ve noticed is that the richter scale number definitely does not correspond to how scary an earthquake feels. Distance from the epicenter and earthquake depth have a big impact. A quick sharp jolt is way less scary than a longer, rolling shake imo, but the former may register as larger. From the videos I’ve seen posted it definitely looks scarier than similar sized earthquakes I’ve experienced in SoCal, and that’s before considering that most of those people have never felt one before.

I was in San Diego watching the Blue Jays play the Padres many years ago and there was an 5.7 earthquake in the 8th inning. Very unsettling.

Northridge was “only” 6.7. Loma Prieta at 6.9 was worse in the bay area than Northridge was in LA and it was really bad in Santa Cruz. Taiwan was 7.4.

I was in LA for Northridge and the bay area for Loma Prieta. My wife was in Santa Cruz for that and the chimney at her house fell and bricks came through the ceiling.

Yesterdays quake shook my apartment real good for 10 secs. It felt exactly like being on an elevated station just as the subway pulls up. A little disconcerting in that I couldn’t be certain that the building wouldn’t collapse, but otherwise very recognizable. I imagine those people who live right above the trian didn’t think anything of it.