2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Why would this be remotely in their interests?

Probably some legal requirement for when they do mass layoffs to try and prevent just what they are doing; re-hiring people as contractors instead of FTE. Iā€™m certain if they needed someone back that statement would disappear.

I know itā€™s the trendy thing to meet with Republicans on restricting immigration but it seems like immigration is the only thing keeping us above water

https://x.com/CardiffGarcia/status/1774869794182815997?s=20

1 Like

DER TEKIN ER JERBS

2 Likes

lol, as if they need that in writing at this point.

So, I can work for them as a contractor, as long as Iā€™m ā€œemployedā€ by someone else. Theyā€™ll hire a company to do a project, that company will assign me the work, Iā€™m not actually working for Stellantis. Thatā€™s all fine. I knew this might happen and specifically asked the guy doing our layoffs if this would be a problem. They actually gave these companies our names and info to go hunt us down and cycle us back through as contractors.

They offered buyouts last year. The language seemed common in buyouts to try and prevent people from double dipping when hiring comes back. This actually came up big as the industry did a lot of buyouts in 2008. Come 2011 when hiring ramped back up and we were trying to find qualified people, we couldnā€™t bring back any of the people who took buyouts. I assume that was a legal thing.

But that language was here in the layoffs. Even more annoying, not that there is a real risk of this, letā€™s say I go work for a small auto supplier that gets bought out by Stellantis. By the language, they would have cause to terminate at me at that time. I dontā€™ think it would happen, but I REALLY donā€™t like this clause.

Holy crap thatā€™s ridiculous. My dad had a pretty good experience at Ford while they were doing this. He went from brakes to regenerative brakes in hybrids then electric parking brakes. Treated him damn well at the end of his career tbh.

My father-in-law was laid off from Chrysler and then worked as a consultant too around 2012 or so. He thought it was hilarious. Chrysler was his retirement job after he put in ~30 years at Ford though, so there was no pressure involved.

that really sucks. good luck, hope severance is enough to get you through this patch. as an over the hill engineer myself, i am sort of expecting this to eventually be me. it would be nice to have a backup plan, e.g another company, or consultancy, although if itā€™s a long term trend, iā€™m thinking a change would involve something more drastic.

Yeah, Ford is on my short list of companies Iā€™m applying for now. Itā€™s about an hour commute which sucks but now that most jobs are hybrid I can handle this 3 days a week or so.

I know enough people in this industry to know itā€™s mostly the same shit everywhere.

I actually have a 10/80/10 theory when it comes to work. 10% of jobs are toxic as hell and you leave as soon as possible. 80% are manageable. Thereā€™s some good and bad, but by and large all jobs in this window are the same. Then thereā€™s the 10% of places that actually honestly care about you. Those are damn hard to find. I had one for a while until they brought in new leadership and fucked it all up. Iā€™ve given up trying to find that top 10%, just keep me out of the bottom 10%.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of politics here, which was always the Achillesā€™ heel of the idea that Big 3 was going to seamlessly pivot to EVs. Joe, the Director of Fuel Injection Technology, with a zillion indirect reports and a seat at the table for every big product decision, is a political force with a vested interest in preventing a successful transition to EVs. Joe the consultant, even if he gets paid 2.5x as much, is more politically tractable. Or maybe Joe stays in place, but his organization of a zillion FTEs is replaced with outside contractors that come up for reapproval every year.

Certainly sucks hard to be affected by it. Good luck coming out of it cleanly. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

This was the point. Sending 24 year olds in to validate whatever management is already doing seems to finally be on the way out.

https://x.com/isaachasson/status/1774870544212545910?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

The Tragic Death of Management Consulting

As an insider, it does not seem like much of a death to me. Cycles come and go; hiring MBAs to tell you what your employees already know is forever.

How can this be if they just come here not to work and get 10k debit cards?

1 Like

Iā€™ve worked at multiple places that have had McKinsey or similar get involved. None have a clue. They send people that donā€™t know anything.

Maybe at some point when the original principals were giving advice but now itā€™s just anybody with an MBA.

Complete and total tax on society.

This was inexplicable to me when I first heard about it. I had a number of friends who went into management consulting right out of college and when they described their jobs to me, I was always thinking, ā€œHow the fuck do they expect you know anything about that?ā€. Every single time. Eventually I just came to accept it. I never really understood it, and I still donā€™t think I do.

I thought Iā€™d mention for all the Australian fauna enthusiasts on here that a friend of mine is in hospital with snakebite. She was walking across a campground in the dark at about 8pm in thongs (yeah thatā€™s right, weā€™re doing Strayan English) and got waylaid by a decent size tiger snake. Sheā€™ll be fine, although they said if it had bitten one of the kids in the campground instead, it would have been trouble.

The snake will not be fine. Her husband killed it with a shovel for identification purposes so they could administer the correct antivenom. Also because tiger snakes are not welcome in campgrounds.

Here my friend is in an ambulance expressing her opinion on tiger snakes:

Quote ā€œThat was before the nausea and pain set in. I passed out about 10 minutes after that photo was takenā€.

10 Likes

We call them thongs too sometimes. Thong singular = whale tail.

Flip flops is more common, which I will not ever be wearing outside in the bush when I go to Straya.

1 Like

My parents did. None of my peers, at least not once the underwear got into the zeitgeist.

Very cool looking snake. Kind of feel bad for it. But in that spot, I guess Iā€™d have done the same.

Chanclas. Never wear them.