2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

I’m hungry now
https://x.com/SarahLVDuggan/status/1770541722881208724?s=20

3 Likes

yeah i can’t understand not seeing how easy money is going to come. you can write and record the entire thriller album 5 years before MJ does. hell you can find him and tell him you have some great ideas for some songs. co-writing credits for all of his biggest songs is probably worth a lot.

you’re in the 1970’s, probably half the coins in circulation are 90% silver. 1952 topps mickey mantle’s are probably $50 a pop. you can buy packs of 1986 fleer hunting jordan rookies for a dollar each.

i forget the year but i know the hunt brothers spiked silver up to $48/oz in 1980 or 1981, you’d have 6 or 7 years to buy silver and know to sell at $40 or whatever.

maybe you don’t remember every super bowl/world series/nba winner off the top of your head, but when the matchups happen, you’d know who was gonna win.

so by the middle of the 80’s you’d have a lot to start tossing at apple and berkshire and whatever else. there’s like 0 chance even with a bad memory and no start up money to take back with you that you’re not the world’s richest man by the year 2000.

might even be fun trying to become friends with bill gates or zuckerberg or whoever. you’d already be rich and be able to tell them everything they wanted to hear. might be a fun side quest lol

1 Like

How old are we when we go back or foward in time? Are we our current age or something else?

i’m assuming 18 in 1974. bc a) going back and staying the same age doesn’t seem fair, and b) i ain’t going through elementary/high school again. i’d probably get into way too many fights and have way too many kids :face_exhaling:

1 Like

Becoming a legendary stand-up comic is an option.

“What’s the deal with airline food?”

4 Likes

You’d be the funniest person ever.

“So they do the song and then the fancy music producer guy is like ‘ok but needs more cowbell’ and they’re like ‘ok’ and they do the song again and he’s ‘it still needs more cowbell’ and they’re like ‘whoa ok’ and do the song and this time he’s like ‘it really really needs more cowbell!’”

On second thought

1 Like

I remember as late as 2003, selling a car by putting an add out in the newspaper, “1984 honda prelude, runs good, looks good 1,200 obo” and getting excited for the newspaper to come.

1 Like

I’m not so sure about this kind of thing. You’re basically running it again and outcomes could be different than they were last time. Maybe you still have an edge but it might be small for something like who won Super Bowl V. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs liked to drive at high speeds. Maybe this time they don’t survive the stupid stage. Your presence could have a butterfly effect such that even big things like a recession or a war could happen when they didn’t before. Remember, all of Earth history got erased when McCoy went back and kept some random lady from being hit by a truck.

1 Like

Any kind of entertainment industry plan is going to be difficult because you need connections and luck to get noticed.

Other plans are hindered because any kind of money you bring back with you is going to look counterfeit.

Diamonds, gold bars and high quality weed would probably work in many scenarios.

1 Like

I don’t think we should discount the value of your ideas and concepts.

Like, you could be a famous leader of civil rights, or a business author, or people development coach to the rich and famous, all with the ideas that we have knocking around.

Step one: Get the world’s smallest book publisher to publish your works of fiction and distribute such few copies that at most an incredibly small number of people will come across them.

Step two: Sue the pants off of JK Rowling.

5 Likes

Isn’t it just as easy as knowing which stocks are going to blow up and getting in earlier than most?

Yeah. Its hard to think of which stocks to buy when off the top of your head, but pretty sure if you just follow business news and product launches you recognise enough and get a hell of a lot right.

1 Like

ProPublica is having their fund raising drive this week.

If we want investigative reporting to exist, we have to pay for it.

4 Likes

Extremely strong efficient markets hypothesis: market prices incorporate all available information, including information brought back by time travelers from the future.

8 Likes

lolololol

It is, but not super surprising. Those birds are masters of mimicry, its no wonder they would be able to pick up how to use some of our tech too

Oh man, short rib filled buns? Pulled pork dumplings? Brisket Banh-Mi? Yes please

This is easy. You can have the time travel rules where the only advantage you have is to know to stop eating junk food all the damn time and touch grass. We’ll have the time travel rules where everything happens the same way again. Natch.