2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

I haven’t been to the movies in a couple years, reading this I was like “I won’t ever pay twenty dollars for a movie ticket”. Seeing the replies, I see I have no choice but just not go.

I still remember Villa Park Cinema having double features for $2.00.

So crazy you have to use fast food apps to save money, but not use movie theater apps to save money.

2 Likes

You can earn rewards with the apps, but then they still charge you convenience fees, so it’s not really worth it unless it’s a popular movie and you want to be sure you get seats.

Our closest local theater is a small statewide chain. If I don’t use the app to buy tickets, I can just tell the employee at the theater my phone number and I’ll still get rewards points and they check to see if there are any rewards I can use. I get credit for concessions purchases, too. Best of both worlds, I guess - use the app if I need it, don’t use it when I don’t need it, but still get points and what-not.

Many movie theater chains (a) give you a form of rakeback (you earn points on each purchase, and can redeem for tickets/concessions/merch) and (b) offer members only discounts on certain days (usually Tuesdays)

1 Like

I am a little skeptical that fast food prices are actually increasing, I remember dudes wring on 2+2 about how ff items have gotten smaller over the years (lol), but I very much hope that I am wrong. Fast food should be much more expensive. 20 bucks still too cheap imo, but I will take any increase.

1 Like

gf and i go to the movies pretty often, those huge reclining lazy boys + popcorn does it. tickets are only $12, but ordering online (and being able to pick your seats ahead of time) costs $2. drives me crazy.

Either my hands keep getting bigger or Filet-o-fish keeps getting ludicrously smaller. Since I only get one every 6 months or so, I really notice.

Pro tip: you can get a double filet-o-fish, and that means it’s fresh.

1 Like

You only have to see 200 movies for the Apple Vision Pro to pay for itself…

Something crazy I realized. I have been buying boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.99/lb for like 20 years across multiple geographic regions. The place I’m in now is the most expensive and literally just picked up a package yesterday.

Bonless, skinless chicken breasts here are like $7 per lb and have been for quite a while.

Cheap movie theaters, expensive chicken

1 Like

AMC a list where I live is like 20 bucks a month for up to 3 movies a week plus no fees for booking in the app

Yeah, it seems very FPS for a bunch of 8 year olds. To be fair, they were clearly tactically better. At this level, any semblance of coherent attacking and defending ideas is way above average. They had just the faintest hint of that, whereas our kids had none. Although, I doubt the video had much to do with it.

I don’t know. $5 foot longs are now $13-$16

1 Like

Which is funny because I think at my peak moviegoing I went to 150 movies in a year.

1 Like

I went to 0 movies last year, 0 the year before that… A few in 2018. Dollar show movies, which were probably like $2 or $3, idr. Last one I remember was Blade Runner 2049. I didn’t buy any snacks.

The crazy thing about movie theater snacks is it’s cost effective to sneak in convenience store snacks, by a large margin, and that stuff is overpriced pretty severely.

Their business model is based on concessions having a higher profit margin than ticket sales.

Norman Rockwell Guy.jpg

Inflation-adjusted movie ticket prices have actually been surprisingly flat for a long time. Snacks, idk.

2 Likes

Don’t know if movies changed or I did, but I’ve seen maybe a single movie per year at most at the theaters over the past 10 years or so. Used to go much more frequently.

Got murdered, resurrected, and then murdered again

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/status/1763586017552994356?t=utGBCziOLh2vKPebyQbpVg&s=19

5 Likes