2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

He’s been paying a lot to lawyers, has declared bankruptcy, and had the bankruptcy rejected. I know they have a whole team of solid lawyers ensuring he pays. Will be the same with Trump. Judgments aren’t worth much without legal muscle behind them, but there is muscle behind the Jones judgment and there will be a lot of muscle behind the NY judgment.

1 Like

I don’t think deliver means what you think it means.

This is a bit odd as you seem to have some understanding that delivery has not yet taken place. Update when that “team of solid lawyers” actually secures the funds.

4 Likes

When the muscle involves Pitchforks and Guillotines then color me interested

2 Likes

Man way to fuck up a good deal. Imagine living rent free in New York City and then deciding to commit fraud.

Barreto says he had just moved to New York from Los Angeles when his boyfriend told him about a loophole that allows occupants of single rooms in buildings constructed before 1969 to demand a six-month lease. Barreto claimed that because he’d paid for a night in the hotel, he counted as a tenant.

He asked for a lease and the hotel promptly kicked him out.

“So I went to court the next day. The judge denied. I appealed to the (state) Supreme Court and I won the appeal,” Barreto said, adding that at a crucial point in the case, lawyers for the building’s owners didn’t show up, allowing him to win by default.

The judge ordered the hotel to give Barreto a key. He said he lived there until July 2023 without paying any rent because the building’s owners never wanted to negotiate a lease with him, but they couldn’t kick him out.

Manhattan prosecutors acknowledge that the housing court gave Barreto “possession” of his room. But they say he didn’t stop there: In 2019, he uploaded a fake deed to a city website, purporting to transfer ownership of the entire building to himself from the Holy Spirit Association for the Unification of World Christianity, which bought the property in 1976. The church was founded in South Korea by a self-proclaimed messiah, the late Rev. Sun Myung Moon.

well it was good while it lasted

It’s been a year and a half since the Jones judgment and he’s still doing radio shows.

Sorry, but I’m a bit tired of the “he has to because law” argument for anything involving rich people.

2 Likes

Reading this I kind of eventually understand how it happened to her. The big mistake was believing the woman from Amazon calling about a fraudulent business account opened in her name. That’s the widest net. Then she talked to the “investigator at the FTC” a guy who’s in the middle somewhere. When that guy reeled her in some more, they brought in the closer, who seems like a true expert at manipulation.

1 Like

They answered their cell, and believed Amazon transferred them directly to the FTC who told them they were probably being watched by foreign identity theives? How do you believe that?

This person seems like they have a very skewed image of themselves.

1 Like

Seems like the first thing to do is to try to verify with Amazon and the FTC that the people she spoke to are legit.

Scam stopped being at all plausible at “CIA agent”

Just never answer your phone and this isn’t a problem

7 Likes

Just lol. The only logical thing you have said is “judgments don’t mean much”.

1 Like

I love that in doing some light digging, the internet discovered that this lady is a freelance blogger and her husband works for a non-profit, yet they live in a $4 Million Brownstone in Brooklyn.

I’m pretty sure this woman is in the bottom 10% of Americans in terms of who should be providing financial advice

1 Like

“Just have rich parents” is actually fantastic financial advice.

8 Likes

So she’s like every other NYT reporter or whatever garbage outlet she works for and is a trust fund kid

pikachu.jpg

She does show some great sympathy here with the person writing in suffering through the extreme hardship of having inherited millions of dollars.

https://archive.ph/HQjn2

Life is a struggle.

100% chance she is friends with Bari Weiss and Bret Stephens

1 Like

A non-profit admin/pseudo-journalist couple living in a brownstone is a literal Brooklyn cliche. Are you sure that bio was not written by AI? If not, I assume that her Yoga studios went under after Covid, so cut her some slack.

When I turned around, I could see the backlit faces of my husband and son watching from our apartment nine stories above.

I don’t think Brownstones go to 9 stories too often.

I’m not defending this woman, but if you read the whole article you kind of get the idea how these people caught her at just the wrong time, used her son to throw her out of whack, and the last guy basically hypnotized her over the course of several hours. I’m not saying any of us would fall for it, but I can see how the average person could. Most people don’t have very good critical thinking skills.

It reminds me of how that guy convinced some Wendy’s employees to have sex with each other by pretending he was law enforcement. It took hours to wear them down, but by the end he had them completely under some kind of spell.

I once got a security alert text from Paypal a right after I had paid several thousand dollars to someone. Without thinking I clicked through to Paypal, entered my username and password, and was about to hit submit when I noticed it was a Paypal spoof site. I don’t know if that info is public or they had an inside scoop, or just a really weird coincidence, but it almost got me. I still changed my password and enabled 2FA (which was new at the time) just in case they had keylogging enabled on their form.