2024 LC Thread - A New Year

https://twitter.com/CFPB/status/1722266268844360143?t=Ty75zxp-SeKz_T96ByO3QQ&s=19

And so it beginsā€¦

1 Like

I worked a hellish temp job at the Coca Cola warehouse one summer, and found out over the course of the week that I was the replacement for a girl who got killed in the pallet stacker. The other workers there were pretty shaken up obviously.

It had two sections and you had to remember to turn both of them off (great design). She turned off one side to clean it, then wandered into the other side, triggered the electric eye, and it snapped her neck. Rough way to go for probably $8/hr with no benefits.

2 Likes

Bob Vila has a $50 million house?!? Thatā€™s almost as bad as finding out that Cosby was a serial rapist.

Even worse, it is poorly maintained.

7 Likes

NOBODY WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE!

3 Likes

Trying to figure out if these guys are stealthily clipped in somehow, and I donā€™t believe they are.

seemed like a good run in internet terms. article reads like it shut down as part of a settlement agreement with a woman who met some predator in their chat when she was just a kid.

So, is it a generational thing for people to just flat out ignore personal emails/texts for weeks at a time? These are emails and/or texts Iā€™m sending to request things/offer things/ask questions. Not spam, not junk, actual work stuff. Is it a California thing? Is it a ā€œnever been in the militaryā€ thing? Does everyone just hate me?

I am physically incapable of ignoring someone who asks me a question. I will reply as soon as I can, even if itā€™s to ask for more time. I am very busy person. But this takes like 10 seconds.

Iā€™m posting this after re-forwarding requests for the third time to various people that I need to contact for the campaign Iā€™m working on.

The kicker: I actually have seen many of these people IN PERSON over the past three weeks, and spoken to them about the same things my email is about!

2 Likes

Iā€™m only responding so you donā€™t feel ignored. I have no answer. I donā€™t often bother people irl so being ghosted/ignored sucks.

6 Likes

Yeah I feel thatā€™s more of a good employee/bad employee thing rather than a generational thing. I definitely have co-workers that will literally ignore stuff for weeks on end, and others that will always reply even if they donā€™t have a good answer. The latter tend to do well, the former tend to stay in the same job forever in a puddle of laziness and misery.

5 Likes

Something that has really sunk in for me over the last few years is that I have NO idea whatā€™s going on in other peoplesā€™ heads or lives. None.

4 Likes

I gotta be honest, I do think it wouldā€™ve been hilarious if we as a forum just didnā€™t respond to that post. Nothing personal to skydiver of course! Just the meta aspect of the unuttered zeitgeist permeating through our brains influencing us to not respond.

I donā€™t really have any answers to the questions other than all of those things could have varying degrees of truth.

6 Likes

Today I learned the idea lemmings jump off a cliff is because a walt Disney documentary crew in the 1950s literally threw lemmings to their death off a cliff in Canmore, Alberta and claimed it was real footage from the arctic.

1 Like

Bring back DiBlasio!

5 Likes

Arrived in Texas and my Uber XL is a d Dodge Ram. That tracks

2 Likes

I want the next guy to say, ā€œNo Martha, donā€™t call the number, youā€™re all set,ā€ and then the next ad is like, ā€œRemember that dumb old broad Martha we had on here last time? The one who kept arguing and bitching and wouldnā€™t just stfu and call the number on her screen? Well sheā€™s dead now. Rickets or some shit idk. If she hadnā€™t been so hard-headed she would still be alive. Now call the fucking number before you wind up like Marthaā€™s dumb ass.ā€

1 Like

Uber experience in Texas continues to be ā€¦ different

This morning I got a driver in his 70s who told me his life story complete with dates, Bible verses and his grandsonā€™s SAT score

1 Like

I assume you told him yours in order to assert dominance.

3 Likes

Probably because Texas counts the truck bed as extra seats.

2 Likes