2023 NFL Gameday Thread: SUPER refBOWL!

https://twitter.com/bylindsayhjones/status/1624988621756301312

My new BFF Cheffers :zipper_mouth_face: explains where the flag was thrown. It was on the first grab that rerouted JuJu.

Simms makes some good points here, and Florio usually hates the Chiefs.

All that said. If that happened to the Chiefs I’d be mad about it. It did seem light for the way they were letting them play.

But I’d also be mad at my own team for giving the refs an excuse when a penalty was by far worse than giving up a TD. When Chris Jones cost us the Indy game this year for chirping at Matt Ryan, I was just as mad at him as the refs.

This is fascinating. Appreciate you both. Why isn’t there a reality show or buddy cop movie about an odd couple of refs paired together???

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1624996692029489154

This is ridiculous. That felt like a 50/50 game all the way.

Just for the record as an Eagles fan, I think the flag was a little cheap but after sleeping on it all night, I’m more upset about (1) the Jalen fumble (2) that huge punt return. Also, kudos on whatever y’all gave to Mahomes at halftime. Kid either deserves an Oscar for convincing me he had a bad ankle, or a ton of credit for scrambling around and avoiding sacks with that injury.

1 Like

And I think that’s where a lot of the confusion comes in, as the broadcast replays focused on his cut upfield and the left hand on the back, not the initial cut outside where he may have gotten a little more obstructed.

Alright, that’s enough zaprudering of this play. I didn’t really have a dog in this fight other than my $200 PHI -1 that went down in flames on that call.

FWIW Mitch Schwartz said Mahomes probably took something before the game. But you’d never take a shot at halftime. Mahomes also said he didn’t take anything for the pain at halftime.

I do wonder if he was hamming it up on the sideline. I told everyone I was with that I’ve never seen him in that much pain. He wanted to go back in the game right after his kneecap came off.

Mahomes is pretty clever. I think there’s a chance he did that on purpose, given the way he came out in the second half.

I think I’d watch that… Maybe the dairy farmer and the corporate lawyer?

1 Like

YES

OMG

that’s a gold mine if you did nothing more than a series of single panel comics

2 Likes

The DVOA model punishes grinding teams. All those (successful) short yardage sneaks hurt Philly’s #

the punt return itself i didnt think was that much of a factor bc they most likely werent keeping the chiefs out of the end zone anyways no matter where they got the ball. the worst part of that possession was the decision to punt in the first place, you have a 3rd and 3 on your own 32, long pass/punt is literally the worst combination of plays you could run. they could have run 2 QB sneaks, 2 passes, 1 run/1 pass, literally anything would have been better than what they chose to do

The Chiefs were rolling, but once you decide to punt (which I agree is not a gimme decision), giving up that much yardage is a back breaker. If they have to go the length of the field there is a much greater chance that a Chiefs receiver drops a makeable catch, or they get a sloppy penalty, or the Eagles D manages to make a single play.
Something, anything could put them in a third and long and maybe forces a change of possession. The short field just makes it waaaaay easier for Mahomes and crew.

I was very happy they punted instead of going for it. They probably could have QB-sneaked it two yards.

I said this on 2p2 but it’s just bad coaching by the Eagles. Jaguars had that motion locked down. You had a script 2 weeks ago for that exact play. My guess is the Eagles just assumed they will out athlete on the edges and it will be fine there. It’s a whip route. Nothing special.

Eagles HC just completely pissed the game away.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1625216817500426240

This guy explains it pretty well. I really like his breakdowns.

Referee Chief Chieffers?

Sounds suspicious!

Well It seems like you’re forgetting to account for the Eagles being an absolute dogshit team

And Im not kidding there, they deserve to be on the list of “Worst super bowl losers of all time” right up there with the 94-95 fucking Chargers.

Chiefs flair!

Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love

1 Like

I don’t even want none of the above, I wanna piss on you