2023 NFL Gameday Thread: SUPER refBOWL!

How much better does a guy worse than Josh Johnson lining up at QB make the viewing experience? Game is already fucked at that point.

They still had a chance with Johnson. Their defense was playing well.

The Chiefs won multiple games with 35-year-old Matt Moore who they pulled off from coaching his son’s high school team or something. Plenty of Matt Moores out there.

Moore spent the 2018 season out of football, though he did receive offers to play. In 2019, he worked as a scout for the Miami Dolphins during the draft process. He had started working as an assistant coach for a high school football team when he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs on August 26, 2019, following an injury to backup quarterback Chad Henne.[88][89]

Moore took over as the Chiefs’ quarterback after Patrick Mahomes injured his knee on October 17, 2019, in a week 7 game on Thursday Night Football against the Denver Broncos. Moore finished the game against the Broncos going 10-of-19 for 117 yards and a touchdown pass.[90] The following week, Moore started in place of the injured Mahomes against the Green Bay Packers and had 267 passing yards and two touchdowns in the 31–24 loss.[91] In week 9, against the Minnesota Vikings, he had 275 passing yards and a touchdown in the 26–23 victory.[92] Moore’s performance against the Vikings was his last significant action of the 2019 season as Mahomes returned from injury in week 10.[93] Moore served as backup quarterback in the Chiefs’ first Super Bowl appearance since Super Bowl IV in 1970, clinching the win against the San Francisco 49ers with a score of 31–20 in Super Bowl LIV.[94]

yeah it made zero sense, if you take purdy out you could put in an extra O lineman, swap out the receiver for an extra TE, be ultra aggressive on 4th down and actually have a chance to move the ball, beats the hell out of whatever they did.

2 Likes

Well, if the guy sitting behind Johnson was going to be difference-maker, then LOL SF for not preparing for that. Maybe the game could have been marginally more watchable, but I don’t think the league needs to help SF overcome their own stupidity to achieve that goal.

They’ll be ready for it the next time they lose their top3 QBs.

It’s like poker. Take some bad beats, go on tilt, then make worse decisions. We’ve all been there.

1 Like

I disagree. If I’m on tilt im calling off light or even more likely running some horrible bluff. If we are using poker analogy id say they went full fold and hope to make the money or something stupid like that. It really doesn’t make any sense to me why teams don’t just go full throw the kitchen sink when down 21 or more. I think it just goes to play hard and play the game right old school bullshit

1 Like

Ithink the refs are garbage but I don’t think they are rigging games. I think they just suck. The eye in the sky shit is just absurd though. That should be talked about on every sports show and be addressed. I would be for the the eye in the sky if that’s what we are doing. You just cant sometimes use this and act like it doesn’t exist.

Just accept it as imperfect.

These goofballs have tinkered with the rules for decades

I agree.

Regular season games Kansas City had zero of the top 8 rated games.

Meanwhile the Burrow vs Josh Allen game set records for the most watched ESPN MNF of all time (how much of that was the Hamlin injury I’m not sure, but if “not playing” gets all the viewers well make half time 2hrs and play 10 snaps each a game.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheRealFrankC_/status/1620188030773624832

I follow a lot of sports and referees suck in all of them and favor teams/players for the weirdest reasons. That is why I don’t like 1 game play-offs because if you get the referee that prefers the other team you are toast. Over an entire season or a 5-7 game play-off it evens out but a world cup knock-out in soccer, nfl play-off and most olympic finals you better not be of equal strength because then the referee will decide the game.

You genuinely think a ref will be more influential on the outcome than plain old variance will be on on a match?

Variance/luck exists and does influences sport way more than some crooked league.

The Cowboys draw the largest crowds every single year. If the NFL had anything that wasn’t shit for brains they might have let them make a conference final once in the last 25 years.

There are a ton of QBs stashed on practice squads all across the league that would have given SF a fighting chance.

The reason for the 3rd QB rule in the past was that if you make the roster 45 but say it can be 46 if you keep a 3rd QB is that teams of course will always use that free roster spot on a QB. It makes it less likely fans have to watch a game where some WR who hasn’t played QB since their junior year of high school has to get under center, or an obviously injured QB who can’t throw goes back into the game (not the first time this has happened and won’t be the last). They have a rule like that now but for offensive linemen. You can have 48 players if you keep at least 8 offensive linemen. I’m assuming the spirit of this rule is to ensure that teams O-Lines don’t get too beat up forcing in a defensive player or TE to try and play tackle and risk getting a QB killed.

I agree the right move in this game is just to embrace the weird and just run a McCaffrey/Deebo wildcat offense. Maybe it gets blown up, maybe it confuses the Philly defense and works. Who knows. But nothing is worse than watching a team try to run a conventional offense and completely failing at it.

It’s because dem boyz suck

Did you see the game vs the lions a few years back

Literally paused the game on a crucial 3rd down in the 3rd quarter and made the refs pick up a clear DPI

It was pure riggage.

I’ve always loved this as a non-hockey fan. How can some random dude coming off the stands not be romantic as hell

1 Like

Sick sample size

Agreed. The hockey goalie thing makes for a fantastic story. As a non hockey player I do feel like a college/amateur goalie can step in and try to block shots a little easier than their counterpart QB can step in and run an NFL offense. Not discounting the difficulty of being an NHL goalie, but there’s a big advantage not having to know a book full of plays, timing, reading options, etc. Also it would really suck to see some random guy get his shot in the NFL only to get speared in half by a defensive player twice the size of anyone he’s ever played against before.

1 Like

Wow this quarterback position sounds kind of important. Maybe teams should have 3 of those available.