2023 NFL Gameday Thread: SUPER refBOWL!

https://x.com/annieagar/status/1726818278725783866?s=46

when there are bad guests manningcast can be awkward but when it’s just the two of them (or when they have a third football guy on who gets the vibe) then manningcast is just awesome. I know that’s old news, but I didn’t play competitive football and it’s so frustrating how after you’ve watched the regular broadcasts for a few years that they have absolutely nothing more to teach you about Xs and Os. I haven’t learned anything meaningful from NFL broadcasts in thirty years and I’ve probably watched eleven million hours of them: that’s criminal. But manningcast gives the audience credit and the overall vibe of watching two thoughtful quarterbacks just processing what’s happening in real time really works. I couldn’t care less that it’s rough around the edges, I hope they keep doing it forever.

1 Like

racially insensitive chanting fades

MVS is still totally worth it, though

They’d be a better team with Tyreke and any 3 people itt than their current WR corps.

1 Like

I like the Mannings, but wtf at having “Mike” (LOL) Vick as a guest?

No doubt. A few more years of this and Mahomes gonna pull a Godgers.

He’s hitting these WRs right in the hands.

1 Like

https://x.com/zpathletic/status/1726792584734048401?s=46

1 Like

This somewhat implies that the increasing chanting from the Philly fans in attendance isn’t racially insensitive.

JuJu was a lot more important last year than people realized.

3 Likes

yep a lot of their guests suck and I also would be fine if I never heard from Vick again. But I just chalk their guest choices up to inner-circle NFL fraternity stuff that I’ll never be privy to. And for that matter it’s not like Peyton’s politics (at least last I heard) are a great match for Unstuck. But the NFL doesn’t really mix with purity tests, and no matter how much they water the rules down it’s still an arguably fucked up sport that is potentially doomed in its current form on the scale of our lifetimes. Unfortunately I still love it and I somehow managed to rationalize the bad stuff away down the cognitive dissonance hole a long time ago. And so with Manning for example, it’s just one of those cases where it’s easy for me to not think about anything beyond: he seems like a great hang, he’s awesome at knowing football, I’m here for football, so I’m glad to shut up sit back and let the dude teach.

That said, I’ve been out of the sports talk scene and I don’t know who the fuck Pat McAfee is, but whenever I accidentally go on espn he’s everywhere and I could be way off but I just have a baaad reaction about that guy

3 Likes

If by “people” you mean the Chiefs’ brain trust, then that’s for sure. He was their most competent receiver. He’s not a franchise guy, but he was the best they had.

I think Rice ends up decent after he gets some experience. Every other one on the roster is garbage. Hardman used to be fine, not sure if he is washed yet or not, haven’t really been paying attention to him.

His AAV is about $26M though. Chefs don’t currently have it. They’d have to lose at least Chris Jones this year to fit Tyreek. Not sure who they have to pay next year but UFA WR market won’t be particularly stout even if they have the money. Tee Higgins and Mike Evans the top two guys. Higgins will get a big multi-year contract due to his age (25) but not sure about Evans (31). Evans is killing it this year and they’d be a heavy SB favorite if they had him right now.

Chiefs have done a good job. As long as they have Mahomes they have a championship window. They’re +200 to win the AFC and their defense has only given up more than 21 points once. Their only real competition in the AFC, Baltimore, just lost their best receiver likely for the year, and KC has the edge for the one bye (much easier schedule, and only 1 conference loss).

It’d be nice to afford Tyreek but they already won one Super Bowl without him, and they’ve got an elite defense and pass blocking OLine. Their Pass Block win rate is 76%, second place is 68%, they’re awesome.

One would hope folks have finally realized that raw stats aren’t the measure of who the best QB is, but maybe this season will seal the deal. Mahomes is obviously still the #1 QB, and I think there’s a large gap to #2.

They’ll be able to have Juju back on a minimum next year. He’s been terrible this year, I think his body is cooked. Not paying him was a great move by the Chiefs - not replacing him with someone decent obviously is a failure.

With Baltimore and Cincy both suffering devastating loses this week, there are very few trams left who should concern the Chiefs.

Miami? LolJax?

Shit, looks like Celeveland is the only legitimate threat left in the AFC.

I mean, holy shit Denver has an outside shot at a wilcard birth.

You’re writing of Baltimore entirely because of the loss of Mark Andrews?

2 Likes

This game is going to be a slaughter. Lions are obviously better than the Packers, plus:

https://twitter.com/JAppleton125/status/1727722063924752725

And that doesn’t count the guys on IR, like TE#1, OL#1, RB#3, every DB, etc.

Green Bay lighting is up!?!

1 Like

Lions might go for 50.