2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

According to Weather Underground it’s snowing just up the hill. I put a star on my house’s rough area.

It’s cold and dry in Seattle and I’m getting popped every time I reach for a light switch or door handle. Hate this time of year and considered posting this in the non-political anger thread.

1 Like

Running a humidifier should help, I’m surprised it gets that dry during the winter in Seattle.

JCO continues to go hard

https://twitter.com/joycecaroloates/status/1628895935831891969?s=46&t=_1gXvnGtH8oIzZP_T2dFNQ

3 Likes

Orignal Famous Ray’s, or Famous Original Ray’s?

2 Likes

Also, what is going on here

Untitled65487

1 Like

How is consumption defined?

Maybe they have cheap taxes there and the Belgians, Germans, and French who live close to the border are buying a bunch of their coffee in Luxembourg?

1. Small countries tend to be outliers.
  2. Luxenberg is also the wealthiest country (per capita) in europe by a large margin.

Maybe Luxembourg got so wealthy by making coffee at home.

9 Likes

60% of people who work in Luxembourg live outside the country and commute in, so consumption rates of anything consumed at work are going to be artificially high per-capita of residents.

1 Like

footnotes. how do they work.

Yay one more thing to stress about. Although my befriending strangers in bars days are mostly over.

1 Like

Lower taxes means more people travel to Luxembourg to buy things like coffee, alcohol, and cigarettes which artifically raises the per capita number of all of those products.

1 Like

Don’t think this is true at all, sales tax in Luxembourg is 17% and I have a hard time believing people cross the border to buy coffee anyway, it’s not like it costs much. I think it’s what I posted upthread, that a lot of people commute into Luxembourg for work and then drink coffee, meaning the per resident consumption rate appears very high.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Luxembourg/comments/10rpr7z/coffee_consumption_per_capita/

From a post there

So we’re kinda both wrong and kinda right. I guess you’d be more right given the commuting workers thing.

Surprised at how little coffee is consumed in Warsaw Pact states. Most people I know have at least a cup or two of coffee per day.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about Luxembourg but i dig the idea that it’s the place where Germans cross the border for cigarettes and fireworks.

Sort of like Europes Gary Indiana

2 Likes

From CNN’s front page is the most confusing headline I’ve seen in a while:

And I am intentionally not looking to fill in the details, because the stories I’m imagining are much more fun.

1 Like

I’m just going to tell you, his name is Elvis.