2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/StateOfPoland/status/1612415018825404418

5 Likes

I am getting a new laptop and I got a couple of questions:

1. They all seem to have some sort of random anti-virus software that is thrown in for free. Do I actually need something like that. Is the one that comes with Windows good enough? If it isn’t, is there one that is recommended.

2. I’m thinking of getting Microsoft Office, but I really hate the subscription. I’ve tried some of the free options for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. But I guess I’m just a windows slappy at heart.

Anyway, as I was looking into this, I have come across plenty of places that will sell me a copy of office that is good forever and doesn’t require a subscription for approx $20/device (I only need it on one). Is this legit? There are several vendors that are offering it in that price range. Am I going to buy it and discover that I just downloaded malware on my computer?

I pay $100/yr for word because it’s a tool for work. If it wasn’t I would use Google docs or open office and save things in rtf or whatever.

I think 3rd party antivirus are mostly traps. Windows defender works fine. Delete included third party antivirus with prejudice.

Windows anti virus software used to be a joke. It’s now top tier and good enough that your average Joe doesn’t need anything more. If there’s third party anti virus then it’s a safe bet to uninstall it.

Here’s what Microsoft says about subscription vs one time.

It looks like one time purchases are legit, Office 2021 vs O365, but 20 dollars sounds low, I would think the cost would be around the same, 100$.

Here’s Microsoft’s pricing

Maybe they’re trying to sell you the Student edition or something. If you’re going for a one time purchase it’d looks like it’d be a safe bet to try and get it from somewhere reputable.

If you’re just needing something to have Office like features for personal use, Google Docs will be good enough for nearly anything and it’s free.

LibreOffice or Google Docs are good enough for personal use. Defender is sufficient for my purposes and it’s unobtrusive but this is probably the most sketchy site I visit.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1613049318138675209?t=t98Fs3ihCIgDMG6OgVtZ_Q&s=19

1 Like
  1. Microsoft Defender is good enough. Only reason I still have a Kaspersky subscription is because some other options I got used to around safe browsing and add blocking.

2. I tried to live without MS Office but just too many issues when working with big spreadsheets and word documents. Got a family Office360 subscription which I am sharing with others.

Absolutely blows me away every time I drive through Salem on I-5 and see the line for the In-N-Out there

Really surpriaed that nobody hit the MM laat night, all six numbers under 20, and nobody hit a birthday parlay anywhere in the country?

14 match 5 winners. Oof

Like others have said, Windows Defender seems to be regarded as equally good as the paid-for versions.

Between work computers and home computers, I rely on MS Office on about 10 different devices, and I can’t imagine living without it. I got my wife a Mac laptop for Christmas and was in your situation where I didn’t want to add another subscription. So I bought a standalone single-user perpetual license for like $30-$40 and it seems to be working completely fine.

This was the deal I used, not sure if it’s still active or available other places:

1 Like

Lost all my money in the Philippines. :/

12 Likes

I tried several times to switch from MSWord, but the interface is just far and away better than anything else.

2 Likes

The only thing I really need/use Word for is sending and receiving redline agreements. Other than that Google Docs would be fine, and I bet it has some redline functionality that I haven’t looked into.

Open Office works brilliantly 99.99% of the time except the one time you really need to convert something to a Word doc for work and then it completely beefs it.

Paying $100 a year or whatever for a word processor really is highway robbery. That’s like ~1.5 AAA video games?

https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1613178034290364416

4 Likes

Yeah I just saw they are opening a corporate office there in advance of the restaurants.

Wheres this?

All these people bitching about the government coming for their gas stoves like to pretend the government can’t ever propose something good but forget about the LED vs incandescent light bulb fiasco as they only change their light bulb once every 5 years now instead of every couple of months.

People were pissed about the lightbulb thing IIRC and I bet a bunch still are.

3 Likes

I have a gas stove (and gas dryer) because all apartments here are hooked up to gas. But are gas stoves really that common around the country?

Edit: this map shows that it’s very regional, and red states are already heavy electric stove users.

1 Like