2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Link?

Someone’s gonna have to explain to a dumb American wtf is going on with this beef between Canada and India.

Not sure what the confusion is. Cliffs as I understand it:

1. There is Canadian citizen who is a Sikh.
  2. Apparently India’s govt thinks this guy is a terrorist.
  3. The Sikh guy gets murdered in Canada (murder is still unsolved)
  4. Canadian govt seems to think they have some evidence that the Indian government ordered a hit on this Canadian citizen in Canada (despite the fact murderers are still at large)
  5. Canadians obviously outraged by #4, expel Indian diplomat and may do more.

If Canada’s intel is good, response seems reasonable. Presumably India’s position is “Wasn’t me, bro”.

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s some solid clickbait. Respect.

TIL Grimes and Elon have a kid named Techno Mechanicus.

TMI comments regarding Scott Alexander’s book review about the earlier Elon biography, including all his kid’s names. (The really odd ones are all with Grimes.)

Some bonus discussion about parts and engineering.

1 Like

Yeah one of my comments made it in there.

Also as a software dev I liked this one (no idea if it’s true, but I can confirm it is really really hard to be a world class software developer):

1. Building expert level skill creating software takes longer, and is less likely to occur than any other skill required in any of the industries that Elon‘s companies operate in. It is basically impossible to become a world-class software developer if you start after you’ve achieved career success in another industry.

2. Hands-on expertise in spaceflight physics, metallurgy and fabrication, rad-hardening, rocket engine design, spacecraft structures, NDE/NDT fixturing: the physics and builder-level skills for these can be learned on the job and with intense solo study by a sufficiently motivated and adequately intelligent person within a few years, if given a free hand to roam/rotate.

Again, I am not claiming this is true, just that it tickled me.

I have formal education and at least closely related professional experience, if not direct experience in both aerospace engineering and computer science. Engineering is way harder, way less intuitive, and there are far less resources for self study. 1 may be true (if you set the bar high enough) but 2 is absurd.

3 Likes

Elon being a warhammer 40k fan is incredibly unsurprising, given the sadly toxic nature of a lot of the fandom. I say this as a casual fan myself.

1 Like

The beef is really between Sikh separatists and the Indian government. Canada is just caught up in their conflict because a Sikh separatist was killed on Canadian soil.

2 Likes

In my adult soccer league there was a team of Sikhs called the Super Sikhs and they were the absolute nicest people I have ever met, which is in line with 100% of my other Sikh experiences.

Given the politics involved, I really doubt the Canadians are making this up and probably have some pretty strong evidence imo.

1 Like

I don’t think the Federal government is making anything up, but what they have declared is a government “connection” to the murder. That is being read as something like the Indian PM personally ordered the hit or something like that, but I suspect it’s more subtle than that.

I’ve been assuming it was more likely the Indian CIA than ordered by the President.

Surely the Indian intelligence services aren’t doing assassination missions without getting the PM’s approval.

It could be. There is a lot of history and Canada has been involved for a long time.

One of the more famous political assasinations of the 1980s was the assassination of Indira Ghandi (Assassination of Indira Gandhi - Wikipedia) which was directly part of the conflict between Sikhs and Hindus in India. For almost all of our lives, Canada has been a part of this because Canada’s history with Sikh immigrants. There had been a pipeline of Sikhs to Canada for most of the 20th century because of Canada’s ties to Britain and Britain’s ties to India. By the time Indira Ghandi was killed there was a critical mass of established Sikhs in Canada, and Canada became a hotbed of the Sikh separatist movement. This included “extremists” like those that organized the assassination of Ghandi, and from the perspective of the Indian government Canada has been housing terrorists for decades. I’m not sure their perspective is entirely wrong, but like most of these kinds of conflicts one man’s terrorist is another’s freedom fighter. The Sikh separatist movement has many valid complaints about their situation after the partition of India. Like so much global trauma in 2023, a lot can be tracked back to colonialism.

2 Likes

• real
  • onion

0 voters

If its real, im immensely disappointed.

Idk man I doubt the CIA got JFK’s approval

1 Like