2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Nah. I agree. I totally don’t get the flag background either. You know if America was a person, they’d be “Nope. Don’t associate me with this shit! I mean what happened to calling things Kafkaesque?!”

1 Like

And here’s supposedly LA’s best pizza. It has to be a running joke among the LA Times food section crew that anything south of the 10 and west of the 110 doesn’t exist.

My wife regularly gets hit on by uber drivers.

And also fuck Lyft and all tech companies.

Oh look. We’ve disruptianoed ourselves out of having any responsibility for what our employees do, let’s introduce a product feature instead.

Also women now have to wait significantly longer for a ride if they choose the non rapey product option. Innovation!

3 Likes

I had awful allergies to dust and cats as a pre-teen and Sudafed and nasal spray were the only remedies. Can confirm that Sudafed doesn’t work and the old sprays made congestion worse in the end. Got a scrip for benadryl in 1980 and never looked back.

You didn’t hear the latest? Benadryl is bad for you.

I don’t know where to put this but man I am so glad I’m not going to my reunion. Not that I could even if I wanted to for distance reasons.

This thought came up (again) because the head of the Facebook group put up an inquiry on dead classmates from our graduating class to plan something for the reunion. There’s about 50 graduates attending and 12 are dead. I don’t know what I was expecting but 12 feels like too much. Granted, I already knew about a few of them and wasn’t friendly with any but still 12 out of around 260 feels like too many even if it isn’t. I’m sure it’s a normal number though.

I’ve never been to a reunion but I assume some small memorial for classmates we lost too soon is standard, right?

What reunion year is this?

Forgot to mention that

Sounds about right unless your hometown isn’t near the US average. Maybe you ran a little bad as a group, but not much.

Mortality rates are low in your 20s and 30s, maybe something like 0.2% for an individual person per year. That adds up over 20 years though, if the cumulative proability of an individual dying between say age 22 and 42 is roughly 4% then you’d expect around 10 deaths out of a group of 260.

2 Likes

I don’t recall any memorials for classmates that passed, just a mention. This weekend is my 40th but I’m not going, first one I’ve missed since my 5th. I was going to skip the 35, but got talked into catering it when they found out I smoke a mean brisket.

My hometown does all the reunions on homecoming weekend. Can be fun if you’re looking forward to seeing people. I even ended up dating a high school crush who I ran into at my 25 year.

1 Like

Turns out there is nearby parking if you’re still interested:

3 Likes

3 Likes

This week, an advisory panel of the FDA unanimously concluded that a widely used nasal decongestant is ineffective and basically worthless. The ingredient, phenylephrine, is found in numerous over-the-counter remedies

PREACH. I have been on this train for many years. I always ask for pseudoephedrine here, which involves handing over my driver’s license so they can record it and make sure I’m not buying it in bulk to make meth from it.

1 Like

Also “group text chats” is some extremely Boomer shit.

1 Like

Nah

2 Likes

Don’t trust anyone over 40

1 Like

After a Texas school district added nudity to a list of reasons a book could be reviewed, it removed from circulation Drew Daywalt’s “The Day the Crayons Quit,” which depicts a beige crayon that has lost its wrapper, becoming “naked.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/katy/article/katy-isd-banned-books-dr-seuss-18300888.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=sftwitter&utm_source=twitter.com

Got to protect kids from imagining crayons without wrappers

1 Like