2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

And Chapo Trap House

Been a long time since I laughed out loud while listening

Another inmate escaped the same way just a couple months ago. Insane that the prison didn’t change anything after the 1st one.

Demand for weight-loss drugs Ozempic/Wegovy is so large that the government of Denmark (where drugmaker Novo Nordisk is from) now has to publish GDP data excluding it

Since the first half of 2022 (left), headline GDP growth has been 1.7% (blue), but ex-Pharma it’s -0.3% (green)

https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1699528251490619566?s=20

4 Likes

that is stunning video lmao.

good for him.

1 Like

He previously murdered his gf in front of her kids, though

https://twitter.com/meaning_enjoyer/status/1699191567876264227?s=20

2 Likes

I think I noted this elsewhere, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a billion people are on these drugs in 10-15 years. They appear to be something like a cure for obesity, which is a growing issue throughout the world.

There will be huge patent fights, etc, but in 15-20 years there will be generic versions available, which, like penicillin and insulin, humanity will have in its medical arsenal for the long term.

Yeah semaglutide cured type 1 diabetes in a small sample. That’s insane. Might be one of the biggest breakthroughs in history

Apparently good for heart patients too, though that may be mostly a weight issue.

1 Like

I thought the Danes were fit, what with all the bikes.

Regular Danish Lifestyle

Muesli for breakfast: +300 KCal
Biking to work -150 KCal
Brainpower demands of a 4 hour work day: -100 KCal
Middle of day nap: +200 KCal
Eating dinner at Noma 6 nights a week: +3500 KCal

Someone help my country’s obesity epidemic, they are dying

7 Likes

Has Ozempic a) come down in price any, and/or b) become less scarce?

Soon we will all be 6’3 215

17 Likes

We don’t get to pick our heroes.

1 Like

Interesting, it’s off patent in 3 years in Brazil (but decision is appealable).

Revenue prospects for Novo Nordisk’s blockbuster diabetes and weight-loss drug semaglutide in Brazil have been dealt a major blow after a federal court denied a request by the Danish firm for two patent extensions. The 5th Panel of the Federal Court of the 1st Region (Tribunal Regional Federal da 1ÂȘ RegiĂŁo, TRF-1) upheld the existing expiry dates of two patents—one for semaglutide itself (2026), and the other for the delivery mechanism for the oral formulation of the drug, Rybelsus (2031). Wegovy and Ozempic, subcutaneous formulations of semaglutide with the latter coming in a lower dose, are therefore expected to face the first generic competitors just three years from now.

There are 18 US patents, with the earliest expiring Sept. 2026. This is interesting, because it looks like it took them about 15 years to understand that they had a blockbuster drug. Patents last 20 years from filing. (But of course they extend work on the initial patented invention for any improvements they make and then patent those and market them or get FDA approval on the later developments, so the early patents may not really cover the “useful” version of the drug.)

This is way TMI, as I’m a patent attorney and don’t even pay attention to it, but he’s a summary of the law related to generic drugs and patents in the US.

Under the Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act of 1984, Pub. L. No. 98- 417, 98 Stat. 1585 (1984) (the “Hatch-Waxman Act”), Congress established an incentive for companies to bring generic versions of branded drugs to market faster than they otherwise might by granting the first company to file an ANDA an “exclusivity period” of 180 days, during which the FDA may not approve for sale any competing generic version of the drug. See Mova Pharm. Corp. v. Shalala, 140 F.3d 1060, 1063–65 (D.C. Cir. 1998). Submitting an ANDA with a “paragraph IV certification”—stating that the patents listed in the FDA publication “Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations” (the Orange Book) as covering the previously approved drug are invalid or will not be infringed by the generic drug—constitutes a statutory act of infringement that creates subject-matter jurisdiction for a district court to resolve any disputes regarding patent infringement or validity before the generic drug is sold. See 35 U.S.C. § 271(e)(2)(A); Eli Lilly & Co. v. Medtronic, Inc., 496 U.S. 661, 676–78 (1990). If the patentholder initiates an infringement action against the ANDA filer within 45 days of receipt of the paragraph IV certification, then the FDA may not approve the ANDA until the earlier of either 30 months or the issuance of a decision by a court that the patent is invalid or not infringed by the generic manufacturer’s ANDA. See 21 U.S.C. § 355(j)(5)(B)(iii).

The get a BBL + fill my weightloss prescription medical tourism is going to be wild

1 Like

Are you willing to get it from a compounding pharmacy in America due to some weird legal stuff that may or may not fly longer term?

If yes, it’s about 300 bucks per month. If you want the brand name fully normal supply, then it’s about 1k per month without insurance and difficult to find. With insurance, depends obviously.

There is real competition from mounjaro, so we’ll see.

You either die a hero (in prison) or live long enough to become a villain.

I don’t consider myself a full prison abolitionist yet, but I have always felt that if you successfully manage to break out without killing anyone then your sentence should be forgiven.

1 Like

Hyphens, the unsung heroes of the English language.

17 Likes