2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

idk why this discussion is still happening. The question as posed contains a physical impossibility and it seems like you agree on this. The spirit of the question is “will a treadmill moving backwards at high speed prevent a plane taking off” to which (for a given level of frictionlessness) the answer is no. It seems like you also agree on this.

3 Likes

Major storms swept through our area and our power is out. This is nearby. I don’t think we’re getting power back tonight. RIP fridge contents.

7 Likes

I don’t agree with this.

Models are of course simplifications, and game theory models are no exception. Game theory models are nonetheless interesting and tell us things about the real world.

It seems to me you are saying “game theory models are incomplete and don’t match real life”, which no one would disagree with.

If you have renters insurance it’ll cover the food in your fridge.

deductible?

1 Like

Really? Never knew this. I’ll have to look into it

Who do you have heads up in geoguessing?

1. Rainbolt
  2. Best AI that someone can currently create with access to massive computing power and unlimited database
4 Likes

Models are normally useful because they encode some useful insight that’s applicable more broadly. Newcomb’s is bad because it’s oversimplified, so it presents “insights” that are misleading. For example, this game is structurally isomorphic to NC:
-It’s the end of Seven, and Brad Pitt’s character just caught the killer.
-A box is delivered. The killer tells Brad Pitt that the box is empty if the killer predicted Brad Pitt would let him escape, otherwise it contains his wife’s head.
-Assume the killer is credible for hand wavy reasons.

Slam dunk let the killer walk?

What NC lacks is any discernible motivation or set of payoffs for the other player, so it obscures the fact that being the sort of agent who does well in NC entails being the sort of agent who is also vulnerable to weird kinds of time-traveling blackmail.

Newcomb’s paradox is a koan.

The AI. The rules good players use to pin things down aren’t exactly complex. As long as it can learn things like bollards, telephone poles and soil it will be fine

Today I learned that the first line of Lady Gaga’s Just Dance is NOT “Red wine”.

wow me too

That’s what I said when discussing this IRL. Group was pretty evenly split between AI and Rainbolt. Zero techbros in the mix, so we were all really wildly guessing.

You were thinking of the reggae track by UB40

2 Likes

The person.

There’s a reason you have to “pick all the pictures with traffic lights” to prove you’re a human.

2 Likes

The reason why you have to “pick all the pictures with traffic lights” to prove you are a human is to train AI.

2 Likes

this is great

5 Likes

Well actually, he’s just othering people that other others.

Also, anyone who likes Return of the Jedi is an idiot.

1 Like