2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

If the Earth is not moving, we’ve got bigger fish to fry

2 Likes

It is moving. Relative to other things anyway. Or it’s fixed. Again relative to other things.

No it’s definitely answerable. If the treadmill acts in the discrete way I mentioned above, where it progressively matches the the wheel speed in discrete steps, then the wheel spins faster and faster until it fails. The wheels are driven by the engines, but in order for the treadmill to attempt to match the surface speed of the wheel, the treadmill starts driving the wheel too. Ever faster. If it was frictionless it would jump to infinite speed instantly. If it’s not frictionless and is a real plane then poof no more plane.

They’re not.

It is nuts that we use a giant slingshot to get planes off an aircraft carrier. That’s like the kind of thing a third grader would think up.

2 Likes

Poor choice of words, I mean the engines are what causes a plane’s wheels to turn. I know they’re not driven like a car’s wheels. But with the magic treadmill the treadmill also starts to drive the wheels to try to keep up. Otherwise the wheels will be turning twice as fast as the treadmill.

Landing on an aircraft carrier is backyard wrestling shit grabbing a clothesline as you’re running full speed

Just land on a treadmill

3 Likes

The only way for the speeds to match is for the treadmill to not move at all. Therefore the treadmill is frictionless and never moves. Treadmill speed zero, wheel speed zero, and the wheels are also magic in that they aren’t moved by wind resistance as the plane moves.

This is getting over my head but I appreciate your explanation.

Not as nuts as a series of explosions propelling a vehicle along the road imo.

Nah, could be my explanation isn’t so good. My head is spinning a little too.

When I was a little kid, my dad went to some air show in like Poland and he brought me back a harrier jet t-shirt that was super sweet w black with neon green wire outline of the jet. The shirt was like 4 sizes too large so I wore it throughout my childhood. I loved that shirt. Thanks for the little nugget of nostalgia from my childhood. :)

1 Like

They don’t.

Normal takeoff:

What is the speed of the wheels if the ground is stationary?

OK what causes the wheels to turn? The force of the engines right? If you have a plane on a slope with the engines off what’s causing the wheels to turn? Force of gravity, right?

Whatever the takeoff speed is?

Given that the engines cause the wheels to turn, I’m looking forward to your estimate of how fast the landing gear is spinning when the plane is in flight.

You know very well he doesn’t mean that. Stop being dishonest.

1 Like

Am I not allowed to take the man at his word?

1 Like

I think I mean very simply the wheel rotation relative to the treadmill rotation.