2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Easiest to just imagine the plane is on a sheet of zero-friction ice with the engines off, then imagine the engines turning on, what happens to the plane when the engines come on?

Yā€™all crack me up. Iā€™m over here thinking aerodynamics and everyone else is worried about tires.

Btw, airplane tires are incredibly tough and overdesigned.

Let me present the opposite theoretical to try to explain why it will fly.

The takeoff velocity of a plane is calculated based on weight and lift.

If the takeoff velocity of a plane is 100 mph, it can move forward at 99mph forever and never lift off. The 100 mph is determined by how much lift is needed to get off the ground. Not by how much forward motion of the plane, but by the LIFT on the wings. Yes they are connected but lift is king.

100mph is a convenient way to describe a complex equation because, as this argument shows worldwide, most people canā€™t disconnect two perpendicular force vectors in their brains, which is normal because most people donā€™t study this stuff

I believe I am describing the situation as worded by the question. If thatā€™s a paradox then that explains why I canā€™t wrap my head around it.

If I say given the wheel and the treadmill are supposed to always be matching in speed, does the wheel speed increase to infinity as the plane takes off? If not, then how fast are the wheels turning when the plane takes off?

This seems like a disagreement over what the question is supposed to mean. I did not really understand your explanation other than I think I agree with it but itā€™s a rebuttal to something I donā€™t think I said.

The question is poorly posed, and demonstrates the need for accurate and clearly-stated assumptions in engineering discourse and design

1 Like

I think people are confused by how much lift there can be on the wings if the purpose of the conveyor belt is to hold the plane stationary to the air surrounding it.

If you have a plane chained to a fixed point so that it cannot move forward and you blast the engines (and the combination of tire and surface prevent it from blowing a tire and add anything else that makes this possible), given sufficient power to the engines, will it leave the ground?

Of course the speeds canā€™t match if the plane moves forward, thatā€™s why itā€™s poorly written.

Yes

If a plane could lift off of a treadmill why arenā€™t aircraft carriers just fitted with treadmills instead of that slingshot? Because the treadmill thing is impossible

1 Like

If the center of mass of a wheel is going forward at 185 knots (relative to the ground) on a treadmill thatā€™s going backwards at 185 knots (relative to the ground), then the bottom of the wheel is going backwards at 185 knots relative to the ground, and the top of the wheel is going forwards at 555 knots relative to the ground.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll read this again and likely understand it, but at first glance itā€™s a claim about the temperature at which jet fuel burns and the melting point of steel beams.

Itā€™s not poorly written, itā€™s just doing something different than what you think it is. If thereā€™s no friction in the wheels and the tires, plane, and treadmill are all indestructible then the wheels ramp up to an arbitrarily high speed instantly and as suzzer points out, relativistic effects cause the plane becomes infinitely heavy and cannot take off.

1 Like

When I put my Tonka truck on my moving treadmill, itā€™s cool how the truck doesnā€™t move, and just stands still, because of the truck wheels

Thatā€™s the actual question.

If the plane is based on reality but the treadmill is magical, the question is unanswerable.

1 Like

And if, as the question implies, itā€™s a magical treadmill that can instantly ramp up to arbitrarily high speeds and a regular old 747, then the regular 747 is just going to get eaten by the magic treadmill like belt sander.

Quick scan, but are the two sides of this argument really being taken up by this forumā€™s traditional adversaries?

ETA: need to find out where CN and JalFreezi stand imo

OK, but what does this mean to you, because youā€™re not thinking of the meaning in enough detail. Does it mean the center of mass of the wheel relative to the ground vs. the treadmill relative to the ground?

Because even in the case of a car, the parts of the wheel arenā€™t all moving at the same speed, and we have to consider speed relative to what?

1 Like

No. The air and ground are not moving with respect to each other. The plane has to move relative to both to create enough airflow to generate lift.

If anything, the airflow around the wings due to the operation of the engine causes a downward force on the plane, since air is taken into the engine at the front of the wing and ejected at the back.

Edit: I take back the downward force comment since itā€™s the shape of the wings that matters, probably not so much the direction of the airflow. I donā€™t think a 747 would generate much lift this way though.

I say the answer is NULL

Uhā€¦no.

1 Like

Fly, yes. Take-off?

Iā€™m assuming the conveyer is on the ground and the air and ground are not moving.