2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

I can’t imagine asking for a free replacement. I’m extremely passive in situations like this, and my wife is much more willing to ask for stuff from stores/restaurants. I wonder what she’d say.

Edit: she says she’d ask. But I’d be embarrassed if I were there. Defend your drink once it’s in your possession!

5 Likes

Here are Adam’s thoughts from Mythbusters

3 Likes

What kind of bug? Cockroach? Yeah for sure. Some kind of outdoor flying bug? No way.

I’m not a scientist, but I remember thinking that the most convincing analogies were:

• a plane trying to take off on an infinitely slippery ice runway
  • me wearing rollerskates on an operating treadmill and simply pulling myself forward despite the treadmill perfectly matching the roation of the rollerskates

So now I can’t even understand the argument that the airplane can’t take off. But lots of people seem convinced that it can’t!

Outdoor flying bug. If I’m inside the restaurant I would most likely ask but if you choose to sit outside I think it’s the risk you take.

2 Likes

what kinda beverage tho?

I’d ask for a replacement for a soft drink.

Probably not for a cocktail, especially if I knew it didn’t come with the drink.

Yeah for sure

Wait what? It seems completely obvious to me that it can’t take off, and I can’t understand how it possibly could take off. Am I missing something? I guess I need to watch that video

What exerts force on the plane?

In which direction? Vertically, lift, produced by air moving over the wings, which can’t happen if the plane isn’t moving

I just started the video so maybe there’s something completely obvious that I’m missing, hold on

Horizontally.

A screaming toddler in Row 13.

1 Like

:leolol:

Ah OK, the engines, which “push” the air. I think I see where you’re going with this

It might not be able to take off but that would be because of a burst tire or failed bearing from the tires spinning twice as fast as designed.

1 Like

Imagine a plane trying to take off from an infinitely slippery icy runway. How does it move forward? Not because the wheels get traction on the ground (like a car), but because its propeller “grabs the air” (that’s scientific) to move it forward, and the treadmill moving doesn’t prevent the propeller from grabbing that air. Could you stand on a skateboard on a moving treadmill and pull yourself forward using a rope? Same idea.

3 Likes

From the point of reference of the plane, it’s the air pushing the engines which then push the whole plane, but you’re on the right track.

1 Like

LOL, the airplane treadmill problem is a banned topic on XKCD forums.

5 Likes

Yea the video summed up pretty well why I’m an idiot. My brain was treating the plane as a car generating force with its wheels. Turns out I was missing something completely obvious after all

2 Likes