2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Hold on the cranks versus the power windows are different features. I’m talking about identical cars where you you have to pay a ransom to unlock what you’ve already bought.

Should it be legal for John Deere to sell tractors that prevent the owner from doing repairs

2 Likes

That example was specifically given. I came into the discussion responding to that post:

OK. I’m talking about identical cars with purchasable loot boxes for antilock brakes or better acceleration. But if you don’t buy the loot box the car you’re driving has all the antilock brake hardware. Which is basically what Mercedes is doing.

My personal vehicle doesn’t have any screens, or power locks or windows, or automatic transmission or turbo. I feel like the guest at the Prick Doctor’s daughter’s wedding who said, “now who’s a genius for keeping his Regal?” after someone said the thieves left all the American cars

1 Like

I’m not understanding the difference. If you buy a car with subscription power windows, it means that your car has them and can’t use them.

I think antilock brakes are a required, standard safety feature which, as I noted above, should be excluded.

I don’t think better acceleration is that different from the subscription power widow scenario. I see the distinction, but I don’t think it is that important. If the consumer is required to receive complete and relatively easy to understand info (and I don’t think this is that hard a concept to convey), they can decide if they want the subscription service car or not. Maybe they just want it for long road trips and will turn off the subscription the rest of the time. Or maybe they like it but the will turn it off when they give the kid the car after 10 yrs.

Or maybe think the whole idea is fucking ridiculous and they don’t buy it and will never consider a Mercedes again.

I can’t wait until they throttle vehicles so that they can’t exceed the speed limit by more than 10mph.

So wouldn’t that just be the limit

:vince3:

:vince:

1 Like

Yeah, goes back to old joke, just tell us what the real speed limit actually is. Not really even a joke.

2 Likes

There’s actually a few things seemingly tacked on at the end of this video that make it seem way more likely to be a serious problem than just the headline and bulk of the video suggest, lol

Like it’s probably not a spy thing or China thing like the lol politician suggests. But still a big deal if it’s just some kind of massive, forward-looking shift in rent seeking behavior/privatization by the richest US families

The video spends all this time on the land around the base, and then just pops in “oh they also bought all the land on either side of the massive interstate power lines west of the Rockies”

Oh good, now this channel will be in my recommendations

Maybe don’t antagonize a man who has no choice but to piss on the street

Fortunately there are great public transport alternatives.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Americans will straight-up riot if anyone tries to take away their ability to drive 100MPH like a maniac. A national gun ban is 1,000% more likely.

3 Likes

Kind of related to this, my car insurance company allows me to download an app and they track my driving and you basically earn credits for following the speed limit. So at least theoretically I am getting rewarded with lower insurance rates for driving like an actuary. But they’re probably just selling my data to advertisers and not changing my insurance rates because that’s how capitalism works.

1 Like

My insurance company did the same thing and I have no idea what kind of grandma driving you have to do to actually get the discount.

They will sell acceleration packs where you can go 25 miles faster for 5 miles for only $199.95.

If we are going to be okay with toggles, we are going to eventually have metered usage. 30 window openings for $69.95. (A 1000x value!)

3 Likes

Nah they’ll be blind packs. Mostly it’ll be 5 miles but every now and then you’ll open a super rare 50 or 100 mile updgrade.

4 Likes

If it also comes with an NFT of a classic muscle car, I’m in

1 Like