2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Leaving things in your car that are worth stealing is the other amateur move. However in Flint your windows would get smashed if there was 34 cents visible. Hop in, rummage around, take anything you want. Just please don’t smash my window. I got lucky though because for about a year the car could be started without a key. But there was also a 50/50 chance it would need a jump.

1 Like

My wife and I are watching Bill Maher’s club random podcast with Raiin Wilson.

About 28 minutes in, Bill goes on a rant about something where he says that David Bowie having sex with a 16 year old is a perfectly fine thing because she loved it and its better than her first time being with some squeaky voiced teen, and its just like…

What the fuck happened to this guy? How did I ever enjoy his shit? What a fucking creep

He’s definitely regressed. I loved his show back in the day and it’s not just that he stood still while progressive society moved forward, he definitely has early to mid stage brain rot or something

1 Like

Pretty standard “guy who superficially disagrees with whatever he thinks conventional thinking is, and presents being oppositional as being thoughtful”. When W Bush is President and starting stupid wars in the Middle East, Maher will seem “smart” because he is superficially opposing W Bush and Cheney and their oil war crimes. When trans rights and work culture are becoming mainstream he turns into an idiot because his instinct is just to attack those ideas because he doesn’t undestand that being a smart skeptic doesn’t just mean disagreeing with whatever other people are saying.

2 Likes

It’s weird I just watched a tiktok of a shoplifter in queens who brought a blowtorch in to open the locked boxes and was just loading up on what people claim were the perfume. Everyone just stood around filming and watching including employees.

That’s how everyone should be. Nobody should be risking their own life or getting so upset about another person stealing from a megacorp to initiate violence. We should all silently stand by and hold the door open for them when they go to leave.

That employee was not getting a portion of the proceeds on the product he protected. I worked in retail for a while. I was never risking my life to protect a case of baby formula. I had gung ho employees who tried to do more and I had to stay on top of them to back off.

Nobody including the police care that a huge corporation is having shrink. Only the abusive corporation cares.

1 Like

LARRY NASSAR stabbed multiple times at federal prison. Film at 11.

4 Likes

I think you are giving him far too much credit. It is waaaaay less complicated than this, and Maher himself has let it slip multiple times: He is still, first and foremost, a touring road comedian. He makes a lot of money doing shows in places like Oklahoma, Nebraska, Florida and Ohio. He does not want to go too “hard” at the right the way he used to because he knows that, if he does, they will stop coming to his shows.

Mahr’s always been a center-right Libertarian bro, I don’t know why people get it twisted. He briefly spoke truth to power when W was president and he’s been banking off of that for 30 years. Ever since 2003 or so it’s been a lot of Boomer/Gen-X culture war grievances.

2 Likes

I think we need to do something about those lazy, shiftless crackers.

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1678382034337558530?t=NfLntsDhOJrtRizPr6wmXg&s=19

Wasn’t Mahr one of the few people who was legit canceled (after 9/11)?

I don’t think that conflicts with anything I said. My explanation was related to why he used to seem to make sense and now he seems like a crank. His stand up has always had a “contrarian” flavor and that is just dragging him into deplorable territory.

Nice! The secret plan to fake a global pandemic to destroy white society and replace them with minorities was a success. Our work here at UP is done fellas.

2 Likes

Yeah, for sure. I think do you have to give him credit for being anti-war when it was an incredibly unpopular stance.

You don’t have to give people that much credit if they support the right policy for the wrong reasons.

1 Like

I agree the employee shouldn’t try to be a hero. But if a CVS closes down in a working poor neighborhood over this stuff, that hurts the local residents, who somehow never seem to enter the equation on these conversations.

3 Likes

There’s also the psychological factor of why should the employee go to work just to see non workers come and threaten their livelihood by disrupting the process that provides for them.

It puts the worker in an impossible situation and is completely demoralizing.

https://twitter.com/incredulicious/status/1678459067474255880

2 Likes

Yes, for saying something to the effect of “the hijackers had courage”.

James W. Lewis, the prime suspect in the deaths of seven people in 1982 from cyanide-laced Tylenol, a poisoning that terrified the nation and changed the way manufacturers packaged medications, died on Sunday in Cambridge, Mass. He was 76.

A suspect? He wasn’t convicted?

Mr. Lewis spent more than four decades under scrutiny in connection with the notorious unsolved poisonings, in which someone laced Extra-Strength Tylenol with deadly potassium cyanide, killing seven people in the Chicago area in September and October of 1982.

Mr. Lewis was never charged in the murders, and he denied any involvement in them. But in October 1982, he sent a letter to Johnson & Johnson, the parent company of MacNeil Consumer Products, the manufacturer of Tylenol, saying he would “stop the killing” if he were paid $1 million. He was convicted of extortion in 1983 and spent 12 years in federal prison.

Oh ok, so yea he probably did it. What was he doing before the whole Tylenol thing?

In 1978, he was charged with murder in the death of Raymond West, a 72-year-old man from Kansas City, Mo., who had hired him as an accountant.

Mr. West’s dismembered and decomposed body was found hanging from a pulley in his attic the same day Mr. Lewis tried to cash a forged check on Mr. West’s account. The case was dismissed after the judge found that the police did not inform Mr. Lewis of his rights at the time of his arrest.

Oh damn, uh ok

In 1983, Mr. Lewis was convicted on six counts of mail fraud in connection with a scheme to obtain credit cards by using information from clients of his tax preparation service in Kansas City in 1981.

oh ok

How about after prison?

In 1995, after he was released from prison in the Tylenol extortion case, Mr. Lewis moved to the Boston area.

He was indicted in Massachusetts in 2004 on charges of aggravated rape, drugging a person with “intent to stupefy or overpower” for sexual intercourse, and four other charges, The Boston Globe reported. He was held without bail until 2007, when the victim declined to go forward with the prosecution, The Globe reported.

Over the years, investigators continued to scrutinize Mr. Lewis in connection with the Tylenol murders.

In 2009, F.B.I. agents executed a search warrant at the condominium complex in Cambridge where he lived. In 2010, Mr. Lewis attracted fresh attention when he released a self-published novel, “Poison!: The Doctor’s Dilemma.”

3 Likes