2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

New Jersey stands alone.

2 Likes
1 Like

Onion

Wow I literally canā€™t remember Pat Sajak not hosting Wheel. Think he might have started before I was even born.

He was doing it in the early 80s for sure. I know at one time there were two versions syndicated and national. He hosted both for a while but a former nfl kicker named Rolf also hosted one for a while.

I think they said he has done it for 41 years

1 Like

4 Likes

sajack :vince1:

6 Likes

wtf is with that guyā€™s pants on the left?

Absolutely atrocious.

Anyone know what this is about?

https://twitter.com/Dr_CMingarelli/status/1671660766502563847?s=20

14 Likes

Who are any of us to question Jeff Rossā€™ methods?

No but thereā€™s also hype about some other supposedly big physics news coming soon. And then thereā€™s the UFO stuff.

1 Like

Hank Green did a thread specifically on the nanograv stuff. Possible detection of gravitational waves from a supermassive black hole collision.

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/1673752025975394305?s=20

1 Like

Didnā€™t we do that already? borrrrrrrrrr-rrrring

1 Like

Attaboy Matt and Trey

5 Likes

Yeah, kinda my reaction too but previous detections from LIGO were from ā€œsmallā€ black holes, so relatively short duration. The time scale for supermassive black hole collision is maybe decades, so wavelengths are much longer and undetectable by something as small as LIGO. These guys are observing shifts in pulsar frequencies. In effect they have a gigantic detector so could see an event like this, which would involve black holes so big it could be the result of galaxies colliding. Anyway, thatā€™s what I got. Maybe the UFO alien story will break. That would be cool.

An announcement is supposedly coming on neutrinos. And somebody said something is possible on the foundations of quantum mechanics, which would be weird, that stuff seems irresolvable.

1 Like

Yes. I will vote for any president who promises to put an end to the current tipped wage culture in the US.

Also a guy at work sent out his ā€œIā€™m retiringā€ email to the facility today with a cc to what I assume is his personal email ā€œmycracker88ā€. Given that heā€™s retiring after 37 years I donā€™t think he was born in 1988ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m curious why you guys think that whatever comes next will be better.

I have worked in the service industry my entire life and am very skeptical.

The Casa Bonita renovation is super cool, but most restaurant owners donā€™t have hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank. Corporations do though.

I donā€™t like being the arbiter of whether someone makes a fair wage or not. It was sort of fine when it was just sit down restaurants where they bring the food to your table or pizza delivery. But now that tip prompts are showing up at more and more transactions itā€™s getting exhausting, especially since I have no idea now who might be getting a full wage without tips and who isnā€™t.

Just pay the people right and charge me a price that covers it.

4 Likes

Bring some Cokes in, please.

1 Like