2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

physics is fun!

Anywho, if you want to make a vessel or container that resists as much pressure (compression force) as possible, the walls of the vessel must distribute that force as evenly as possible.

That means the absolute strongest vessel to resist pressure and hold its shape would be a perfect sphere. Cylinders are second best, but really only if the ends are capped with a hemisphere. Which is why submarines look like they do.

As for the wine bottles, the Titanic didn’t just drop 2.5 miles down to the bottom of the ocean in an instant. If it had, the bottles probably would have failed first along the seam of the flat end. But because of what was described above and the slower descent of the ship to the bottom (giving the process time to work), the pressure had time to equalize.

4 Likes

If you take a solid steel sphere and drop it to the bottom of an extra deep Mariana trench that’s at 40,000 PSI nothing will happen to the sphere. It’ll compress a little bit. At some point you’ll compress it enough to get a phase change but it’s not going to break with uniform force from every direction.

https://www.tiktok.com/@_lunaeclipss333/video/7248097138800872750

Video of them being bolted into the sub (not sure if the same crew though).

2 Likes

My daughter is volunteering at a charity car wash today. Bunch of high schoolers. She said some 30-something year-old guy drove up when she and her friend were holding a sign on the street and said they’d get a lot more customers if they were topless.

Um…wtf.

Alright, some kink shaming

1 Like

Fucking hell guys are such creeps

1 Like

sigh, there’s always one piece of shit like this

plural, wheaties

lol a fucking generic video game controller is used to control the sub

Prick couldn’t spring for an official one. Cheap bastard.

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that’s 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.

The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.

A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.

The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours.

When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.

Human bodies incinerate and are turned to ash and dust instantly.

2 Likes

Sounds like a very good way to go. Much better than a bullet to the temple or jumping off a building.

One millisecond you’re conscious, the next you cease to exist.

2 Likes

Unless it was creaking and groaning before for several minutes.

Definitely possible. I hope everyone was thinking that everything was 100% according to plan the whole time.

temple ur done as fast

Like spam, get done when I come and slam
Damn, I feel like the Son of Sam

I’d worry I fuck it up somehow and live, or be in agony for 5 minutes. Also we don’t know how long parts of the brain remains conscious after that.

I’ll take instantly vaporized or go in my sleep.

1 Like

It’s the greatest kick of all, that’s why they save it for last.

some sensational thing on NY drag queens chanting something provocative os

the clowns over at chiefsplanet are aghast

was reading the Patagonia founder’s book last night and had a good laugh at this passage that the ocean gate ceo apparently never read

9 Likes