2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

The ship is flooded so there’s the same water pressure pushing out as pushing in

1 Like

morans in my neighborhood already doing fireworks. what do I win?

I live in redneck country and we have fireworks going off year round. Snow on the ground? Light em up!

1 Like

yeah. me too. after living in kc mo city limits for almost 30 years. it’s a trip seeing the rural poverty now

I was thinking a bit about the sub disaster and in particular this:

Lance, the Duke University professor, echoed some of these concerns. She said the unconventional combinations of materials used in the Titan posed safety risks because “over the course of repeated pressurizations, they tend to weaken.”

“This is not exactly what, in my opinion, would be innovation because this is already a thing that has been tried and it simply didn’t work,” she said.

Some people who worked with Stockton Rush described him as not being careless about safety. Who knows, but I could kind of see that being true. The problem is what happens when you have an idea and people tell you it’s a fundamentally unsafe idea, do you abandon the idea or does your ego overrule that?

We’ve seen with Elon and others that what a commitment to “free speech” actually means is “I’m voicing my opinion and getting told to shut the fuck up, which is terrible because my opinions are correct”. In the same way, I think what “too much concern with safety is stifling innovation” actually meant to this guy was “People are telling me that my awesome idea is unsafe”. In both cases it’s just taking your ego and disguising it as some kind of abstract principle.

5 Likes

Nail in the coffin.

Rabia is such an utter piece of shit.

Of course.

1 Like

Oh God. I’m not a very good sleeper.Those mfers are going to be setting off fireworks in my neighborhood from now until the 4th. Or maybe beyond it. God help us both.

1 Like

7 Likes

I’m trying to reconcile a submarine being crushed in 0.32ms with wine and champagne surviving on the titanic.

For the sub implosion, I’d say more like ~10 ms. The cork would simultaneously be compressed and pushed into the bottle until the internal and external pressure equalized. That would be a gradual process as the pressure increased on the way down. It could happen in such a way that the cork still sealed the contents in the bottle.

I think it’s as simple as the bottles are able to withstand more pressure than the sub was.

4 Likes

:vince:

1 Like

Should have used a giant wine bottle to get to the ocean floor.

13 Likes

those views

One of my father-in-law’s favorite stories is about how his friend in college was given this assignment where the component needed to have a mass less than X and be able to withstand a little bit of pressure. Everyone worked super hard on their designs and brought in their work.

They started testing them. His friend didn’t have a design as far as he could tell, he was just drinking coke out of a bottle. When it was his turn he just put the bottle down and withstood the most pressure out of anyone.

2 Likes

I was alluding more to the strength of the steel itself. After looking it up, it seems that the ocean psi by the wreckage is approximately 6,000 psi, whereas it takes 40,000 psi to actually break steel.

6 Likes

Isn’t Cork permeable? The pressure would equalize that way.

Eventually, but idk if it had time to diffuse out slowly when the Titanic sank.

CO2 should be more soluble in high pressure, right?