2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Wtf. We don’t have anything like that here I don’t think.

Prescription you mean? For $30?

You don’t have Warby Parker or EyeBuyDirect?

Zenni is on the internet, so I think you have it there.

I went to a cheap place and got a prescription. I think it was like $80, but they do it free for 3 years. Then I escape the eye care place without buying glasses and order them online.

Never heard of them.

You get prescription glasses for $30!?!?

Wow. Ok I’ll look.

1 Like

These are very plain. It might be a little extra for astigmatism, but my prescription is not very severe and I said no to literally every extra (whatever coatings or shadings or anything like that).

1 Like

:heavy_plus_sign: on the Zennis. They have some decent looking frames at a really good price. They don’t necessarily feel extremely well built or anything, but I do wear these every day for roughly 2 years and they are still holding up. I need to snag a second pair before my glasses rx expires just in case I lose or break them.

In recent years, the entrepreneur and inventor Ray Kurzweil has been the biggest champion of the Singularity. Mr. Kurzweil wrote “The Age of Intelligent Machines” in 1990 and “The Singularity Is Near” in 2005, and is now writing “The Singularity Is Nearer.”

1 Like

That only explains the frames. There are huge margins on the lenses too.

With respect to the frames, Luxottica basically has a monopoly on eyeglass frames. Most of the frames that you see at stores are made by Luxottica. Either brands that they own or brands that they have a license to manufacture frames for.

It owns a lot of the retailers so they can markup lenses as well.

Capitalism. More specifically, Luxottica.

2 Likes

My wife gets prescription glasses $50-$150 from eyebuydirect.ca

This is making me sick.

How did I spend $930!

Vomit!

You didn’t get UV protection? I’m cheap AF too, but that seems like a no brainer. Although I’m kind of looking forward to cataract surgery some day. Apparently they can just put in a brand new lens which can potentially make glasses and contacts unnecessary.

I guess if you don’t wear them outside and wear shades instead, that’s fine.

Do Canadian Costcos have an optical shop? That’s what I do. It’s more expensive than Zenni, but I like having a place I can go to if I’ve got problems. Also, like all things Costco, product and service are great.

I just buy frames online and take them in to costco. I’m wearing a pair of Ray-Bans that I snagged on ebay for $30. Took those to costco and got lenses put in for a couple of hundred. I’m blind AF though and unlike micro, I got a lot of upgrades since I can’t go a waking moment without them.

jfc the things I learn on UP and SPE and learned on the old 2+2 Politics.

Costco confirmed GOAT for glasses

I usually only wear them when driving. Glass blocks a lot of UV. Windshields block 94%.

My wife’s glasses were ver $700. They are progressive, very strong prescription, get dark outside and I only complain about the cost behind her back like this. I wouldn’t spend that on myself.

1 Like

Ya mine are also progressive and turn dark. Still insane price differences.

6 Likes

Yeah, I guess in that use case it’s probably not worth it.

I just don’t get how you can have better vision while driving and not want it the rest of the time. Seems weird to me.