2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Going to Cracker Barrel right now then yeehaw

I am generally against gatekeeping, and like this in spirit. But turning the Instagram hordes onto the local bagel shop is not the answer. People live here. Can’t you send them to Shake Shack or whatever?

1 Like

More like a prime example of something. Can refer to a day out, a beautiful woman, a handsome man, a funny joke, a 16th century Bavarian woodcut etc.

It’s a bit odd because the plural means insane, as in “If he thinks that’s a real 16th century Bavarian woodcut he’s crackers”.

1 Like

Also I believe it can mean “insane” in the “awesome” connotation. Like a letter George Harrison once wrote about his love for the ukulele, calling it (or some songs transcribed for it?) crackers

I suppose it’s related to the way y’all use “cracking” to describe things?

1 Like

Yeah, pretty much. Instead of “what a cracking bottle of Scotch” you might say “that bottle of Scotch is a right cracker”.

Not personally heard people use crackers for awesome. Totally possible though. Harrison’s letter refers to people that play Ukes. I think he’s just saying they’re all a bit mad.

3 Likes

No, “cracking bottle of Scotch” is completely normal.

Yes. As is “Have I got a cracker for you” while pulling out a bottle of Scotch. “Cracking”, I say, “I’ll crack on, crack it open and crack one out (well, maybe not the latter, that was a wisecrack).”

2 Likes

A Florida Cracker was a term used for cattle/ranch hands in early Florida. It wasn’t derogatory.

And here’s stupid old me thinking the name literally meant a barrel full of saltines or whatever

Federal Government of which country?

nm Aus

3 Likes

A cracker is also the street name for the device used to “crack” open a nitrous oxide canister for huffing purposes aka whippets. I don’t think it has any relevance on this discussion though.

Crackers love crackers.

1 Like
1 Like

Not sure what’s going on here.

6 Likes

(they have the little pegboard games, illustrated at bottom right, at their tables)

I thought a search would get urban dictionary, but nope Wikipedia

“Pegging is a sexual practice in which a woman performs anal sex on a man by penetrating his anus with a strap-on dildo. A naked man is on all fours.”

eta: That’s the only definition I know for pegging

The top professional baseball team in Atlanta was known for 66 seasons as the Crackers.

Negro League teams in the US would often just add Black before the city’s white team’s name. And thus were born the Atlanta Black Crackers

4 Likes
1 Like