2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

My guesses:

Madonna
U2
Michael Jackson
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Metallica

Madonna
Rolling Stones
TIna Turner (really just guessing because she died and maybe thatā€™s why you just heard this)
Cher
Elton John

I donā€™t expect to get more than two right.

eta: Apparently just one right, and the easy one. I thought about Weird Al.

Apparently this question is making the rounds and some of the answers are sus. One of them is charted for being sampled on someone elseā€™s song. Some are just disputed.

Unbelievable Paul McCartney isnā€™t in that list. Rigged!

Going to go out on a limb and guess Rick Astley

1 Like

Congrats Jeff

2 Likes

I havenā€™t looked at the list, but I would imagine U2 is on it and I wonder: Is U2 overrated? Underrated? Correctly rated?

Is anybody in 50 years going to have heard of U2?

personally canā€™t stand U2, like they stink

5 Likes

I was really into U2 in high school and freshman year of college. Joshua Tree is a top 10? 20? album of all time for me. I also think Achtung Baby was/is fantastic. But aside from Joshua Tree I havenā€™t intentionally listened to U2 in 20+ years.

1 Like

Way overrated. Very few outside archivists will listen to them in 50 years.

They were a better ie more interesting band when I saw them supporting Echo in the early 80s.

Final list that I have:

Michael Jackson ( I assume something went #1 after his death)
Madonna
U2
And the two wild cards:
Weird Al Yankovic (Fat, Smells Like Nirvana, White and Nerdy, and Word Crimes)
Kenny G??

Edit: Oddly that came from Billboardā€™s site but when I look into his actual chart positions, I see 3 top 40s in the 80s, 2 in the 90s, and 1 in the 2010s, and do not see one in the 2000s

Double edit: This seems like a cheat

Same song that crossed decades and hit the top 40 in both. I call foul

https://yourmom.zip

Yeah I think they went from being properly rated to massively overrated, to maybe possibly being underrated now. Iā€™ve seen Joshua Tree get snubbed on some greatest albums lists recently.

FYP

For me u2 very much peaked at Joshua Tree then fell off a cliff mostly after that. But Joshua Tree one of my all time favorite albums.

Also anyone say aerosmith

I conducted some research for science.

My 18 year old
Name a song by the Beatles: Yellow Submarine
Name a song by Madonna: Like a Virgin
Name a song by Prince: Purple Rain
Name a song by U2: Nope

My 15 year old:
Name a song by the Beatles: Yellow Submarine
Name a song by Madonna: Nope
Name a song by Prince: Nope
Name a song by U2: Who?

6 Likes

18 year olds donā€™t know any U2 songs anymore? Dang Iā€™m old

I will run this by my kids. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll know songs by everyone except U2. Theyā€™ll probably get something by U2 as well. Iā€™ll report back.

8 years at the age of princeā€™s death is a bit sketchy. (To not know him but music is much different these days and most people are stuck in bubbles).