2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

mash play for the mind massage

You know, in less than a year a cat can go from being completely feral to only eating one specific brand of store-bought cat food, itā€™s amazing.

4 Likes

Theyā€™re just like us fr

2 Likes

Having a wifi problem.

For the last few days, at least one device in our house has been connected to the network, but not the internet (the old ā€œSecured, no internetā€ status). My phone and gaming PC one day, my sonā€™s phone another, my wifeā€™s laptop last night, our main TV and now my daughterā€™s school laptop tonight.

Rebooting the router tends to fix it. Iā€™ve also rebooted the modem and router together a couple times - I did it for the first time last night because rebooting the router alone didnā€™t reconnect my wifeā€™s laptop.

But at some point, something else has the problem. I tried the ipconfig flush stuff on my daughterā€™s laptop, but itā€™s a school-issued PC, so most things I canā€™t do because of admin access.

Any ideas or is my router borked?

EDIT: I also canā€™t connect to my routerā€™s home page to check settings, connections, etc. (obviously using a computer that is working fine, like this one)

Not an expert but are you sure youā€™re connecting to the right network? (My cousin had trouble bc heā€™d been using his neighborā€™s open network without even realizing it.)

You do that in a browser by using the router IP address? Have you tried a wired connection?

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m on the right network. Most devices work, itā€™s just that at least one keeps losing internet while still being connected to the router every day the last few days.

With this router (ASUS), you enter a URL to access the router page.

Is your router set to limit the max number of connections? If you have it set too low, maybe like 10 or something, that might be a problem.

If you canā€™t get to the router config, Iā€™d just throw it out and buy another one.

1 Like

The URL is http://www.asusrouter.com? You should also be able to do it via IP address, e.g. http://192.168.50.1, but it depends on the specific model. Either way, I would try over a wired connection (eithernet cable).

When you say you reboot the router, you mean you are resetting it to factory settings?

How does the router connect to your ISP? If they supply a modem, have you tried resetting it too? I have a wireless modem/router connection that can get flaky at times, but thatā€™s out of my control.

Yes, Iā€™ve rebooted the modem multiple times, as well.

Interestingly, I was able to get to the router setup page once last night, but it eventually gave errors when trying to load a different settings page.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe thereā€™s a limit on the number of connections. Weā€™ve had tons of devices connected to it for quite some time now, using both frequencies.

To be clear, everything is still connected to the router. Itā€™s just that one or two things each day decide they arenā€™t connected to the internet.

Iā€™ll see if I can talk to tech support at ASUS today. Iā€™m also going to try to figure out how long the warranty is. On store pages, it seems like two years, but I canā€™t find the actual info on the productā€™s support page. The key there is that I bought it in July 2020 as an upgrade in anticipation of everyone being at home for work and school. Amex adds an extra year warranty, so if the warranty is two years, I can probably get my money back from Amex and mostly pay for a new router (Iā€™m looking ones in the $200 range).

On the bright side, kids are so used to their phones that my daughter was totally fine studying for her final with her phone, even when I offered my laptop.

1 Like

When you say that yes you have done a factory reset, you donā€™t just mean pressing the reset button, right? Because you would presumably have to reconfigure everything including passwords, so everything wouldnā€™t still be connected to the router.

+1 to full factory reset

Tangentially, God bless mesh routers. I have a funky-shaped house and the Orbi really fixed my shit.

1 Like

I never said that. I have only rebooted the router and modem a bunch of times. I have yet to ā€œresetā€ the router.

It was unclear whether you had, based on

Does this at all resemble your problem?

Ah, my bad.

Thanks for the article, Iā€™ll take a look.

EDIT: The timing of the issue certainly seems to match up. The first day I know for sure there was a problem was Thursday night. Looks like Iā€™ll try to save my settings file or whatever then reset the router when I get a chance.

1 Like

Huh? What are those two words?
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1660247891091308544

Debt ceiling

2 Likes

Too many stars in word #2 for that.

Likely mistake. In the context, itā€™s obviously ā€œdebt ceilingā€.

1 Like