2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

My friend needs help. Obv we only lol lawyers but if you know anyone please pass it on.

https://twitter.com/AdenPolydoros/status/1647357818939359232

1 Like

His best bet is going to be to contract pro bono places that do LGBTQ stuff. Places like OutLaw, Lambda Legal, etc. Even if they canā€™t directly take the case, they are usually pretty good about giving general advice and helping you find another lawyer.

1 Like

I appreciate you.

He is trying to take this to the next step and find an advocate with power who is willing and able to serve as his ally.

People are not as willing or able to help trans people with these things as I wish they were. I speak as someone who is in the midst of trying to find an advocate for my own stuff, too.

Are you in favor of mechanical keyboards?

• Yes, theyā€™re great.
  • No, too expensive, they break, or otherwise suck.
  • Whatever.

0 voters

No, too loud.

Unless you need absolute silence, there are some less noisy choices or you can do a simple modification to add some dampening.

I have an entry-level mechanical kb. I like it ok but it started randomly repeating keystrokes. I just spent a couple of hours disassembling and cleaning it up as best I could. So far so good :crossed_fingers:

I also have the double keystroke problem with my spacebar. Only had one mechanical keyboard lately and it sucks. Maybe some others are better. Gotta say if I need to mod it out of the box something has gone wrong though.

Like a mechanical version of your Samsung or Google keyboard? Instead of downloading it, it uses Bluetooth or USB? Why?

I recently got one, not sure why, alls I can tell is that it feels like itā€™s going to accelerate median nerve compression, but also that it feels like everything I type is 10% more important eventho itā€™s the same bullshit.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who had to look up what a mechanical keyboard was?

Went to The Yard today for a kidā€™s birthday. They make specialty milkshakes, and were apparently on Shark Tank. Here are some of the options:

The volume seemed outrageous/disgusting, so the kids got these much more reasonable bowls:

I just got a scoop of ice cream because I wanted to be able to function later, but that little cup looked incredibly dainty next to the bowls. Next time Iā€™m feeling a huge bout of self-loathing, Iā€™m going to head here and crush a 2,600 calorie shake.

1 Like
4 Likes

It may help to change the repetition delay time in settings, at least in Windows. Thatā€™s easiest. You could have some dirt causing the switch to ā€œchatterā€. (At your own risk and assuming the switches are accessible) you can remove the key and blow some air into the mechanism (a can of compressed air meant for cleaning electronics is best); or you can do what I did, which was to put some solvent, like isopropyl alcohol, in where the contacts are and bang on it a couple of dozen times.

Mods are a main reason people like mechanical kbs. Itā€™s not for everybody, obviously. Personally I like the weight and solid feel of it. I donā€™t want to replace this one though; Iā€™d probably end up spending twice as much.

Edit: there are also apps that are supposed to correct for chatter. They might allow a finer adjustment than the operating system. I havenā€™t tried them. Hopefully wonā€™t need one.

1 Like

I take it you do everything on your phone? Sometimes I just like to sit in front of a big monitor and bang on a physical keyboard. A cheap plastic membrane kb just doesnā€™t have the heft to hit back as hard.

1 Like

Been there a few times itā€™s great

I have a separate Bluetooth keyboard like this

I donā€™t like those big noisy springy keys.

I havenā€™t had a laptop, desktop, chromebook, tablet, or anything but phone for likeā€¦ 15 years holy shit. First time Iā€™ve actually counted the time

Impressive. I have a desktop, two laptops, 2 tablets, and a phone. Admittedly some of those are bc I donā€™t know what to do with old stuff.

I have one of those too. Never use it.

1 Like

I have a bunch of old non-working laptops. But that is because Iā€™m too lazy to figure out how to remove and destroy the drives. Iā€™m not even talking spy level destruction, just taking them out and drilling some holes in them would be good enough for me.

Iā€™m sure I can find a youtube on how to do this, but I just canā€™t get arsed up to do it.

I guess I have gotten rid of the oldest generations of laptops and desktop machines. I took the drives out and still have them. I thought I could use them for something but nah. Either a hammer or drill would do for destruction imo.