2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Also possessor of NARDS

The really need to make phone numbers more secure

https://twitter.com/LizSpecht/status/1642724060017688582?t=dPg75JzfW9ilVCRWWOoJdQ&s=19

You forgot to log back in as NotBruceZ

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with 22? Apparently my computer thinks itā€™s gonna get pozzed if it accesses the site.

1 Like

Yup same thing for me.

sorry ainā€™t buying it, too incredible to be real, gotta be an April fools joke, nice try though

CNN is salivating over the ratings of the Trump trial.

How are they spoofing the number on these calls?

I was born in '88. First family computer came when I was in 2nd grade when Windows 95 came out. Started using the internet on it maybe 1.5 years later.

Parents got me an iMac for my bedroom late in 5th grade and I had more or less unlimited door shut internet access. Iā€™m curious but too embarrassed to ask if theyā€™ve since reflected on that as a parenting decision.

I didnā€™t have my own cellphone until university. I remember my mom had one that she didnā€™t use and Iā€™d borrow it my senior year of HS. First smart phone was over a year after I graduated university.

As an obsessive sports fan I feel like a generational turning point is do you remember watching Sportscenter or reading the newspaper to find out who won games you cared about.

2 Likes

I make an exception for mass murdering US presidents ie all of them during my lifetime.

So much this.

Most of my friends are part of the expat community. So almost no one in the group is from the city we live in. Itā€™s one of the first questions we ask each other.

1 Like

Howard Stern: still not funny

I assume this is one of those things where once you listen for a while it gets funnier because you ā€œknowā€ all the characters.

I love that movie.

Because of the ancient technology a lot of the old telephone switching uses there are lots of ways to get spoofed phone numbers into the network. Also the biggest problem are third party phone companies who sell services to spammers and scammers.

Apparently the larger phone companies only have limited legal authority to block a lot of it, but I think some things are changing and eventually spoofing would be much less likely.

My wonder is how some random scammer found out their sisterā€™s phone number. Almost feels like you would need to know the victim. But I guess with people living on social media itā€™s easier to connect those dots than I might think.

Iā€™ve never liked Wack Pack segments. I just like it when he shoots the shit about the news or interviews people. When he bullshits with staff members can be good, except for Ronnie.

Very much this.

Heā€™s a terrific interviewer. His ability to make a person comfortable enough to get their guard down and have them say/do stuff they normally wouldnā€™t is very impressive.

donā€™t prank strangers! iā€™m not saying he deserves it, but heā€™s not not asking for it.

ā€œItā€™s just a prank, bro!ā€

wincing, grabbing gut

That article blows. What exactly was the ā€œprankā€?

1 Like