2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

“No one’s art is better than the person who made it”

That’s so dumb it’s almost worthy of its own thread here.

Rooney’s grumpy old man schtick was funny enough for what it was, but we have to realize that what he was doing was being an internet troll before there was an internet so his patently absurd “hot takes” were just broadcast unchallenged to millions of people on Sunday nights. With the benefit of hindsight, it’s easy to see how the journalistic mainstream got so complacent and lazy, for decades before the internet they controlled all the meaningful channels for spreading opinions and all those channels were one way streets.

1 Like

Surprisingly, a lot of Gen-Xers forgot that the Wendy’s lady found the beef in a jar of Prego’s spaghetti sauce and got fired for it. That’s my Watergate.
Second place is Milli Vanilli returning their Grammy.

1 Like

I never really understood why this happened.

Shouldn’t they have just given the award to the people that actually sang?

Ultimate Warrior dying because his arm tassels cut off his circulation.

Was Atari a big thing for you?

The two things that popped in my head for genx was Atari and music videos.

Pretty sure everyone in our generation remembers where they were when they heard that the dude from INXS died while masturbating.

2 Likes

If you have owned a copy of Nirvana: Unplugged, you are Gen-X.

1 Like

Probably because apple fancies themselves a high end retailer and makes the profit per square foot to be one.

I was just talking to someone about this the other day. As someone who loves video games, I feel fortunate that my generation has coincided with the history of video games. I know there were other things before Atari, but Atari was really the first mainstream home video game system. I was obsessed with it when I was in elementary school and into middle school and have gotten to witness the evolution of video games ever since.

Gen X is in an interesting spot in history, as we lived in a more basic technology era, when there were just 3-4 TV networks plus PBS, no cell phones, basic computers and no internet, etc., but were at a perfect age to adapt to the internet age. Kind of straddled two eras of technology.

(also my avatar in my work Slack is the Atari logo)

1 Like

Oj for gen x maybe

1 Like

they are training every new employee with a job that puts them face-to-face with customer as they walk in. that probably has other benefits for the business

1 Like

it’s the ken starr report ainec. kuwait distant second

I know where I was when Reagan was shot.

I could be wrong but I think most people who are born in the first years of a millenial better identify with GenX? Maybe because everything after the 90s sucked so nobody wants identify with anything later but if you went down to the record store to buy CDs for your Walkman or called your parents collect to say your name was “pick me up” you’re a Gen xer.

So the answering machine is gen x

Nah, the entire first decade of millenials did this

If Gen X did this in their youth, they were rich Gen X

I remember rollerblading to the “Wherehouse” record store from around 94-98. I gre out of it around 99 and that was when Napster happened and it felt like it completely destroyed the whole thing at the time.

Um…WHERE?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1642706173714366467

15 Likes