2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

download (1)

3 Likes

Have to believe that their 2001 song that goes “I fell in love with the girl at the rock show” is about one of the people in this story.

4 Likes

A hard read about an old sandwich shop that finds itself in the middle of a homeless encampment

Typical NYT to fret about whether or not the business will survive rather than the homeless people.

4 Likes

The article does a pretty good job of talking about the owner and the homeless. If you’re wanting a sympathetic business owner though an old mom and pop sandwich shop owner who gave jobs to homeless people is probably the best you can do. There’s also an even more sympathetic art gallery owner who lives upstairs and is surrounded by encampment who’s a self described bleeding heart liberal who’s constantly helping the homeless.

1 Like

Archive.ph failing me

As homelessness overwhelms downtown Phoenix, a small business wonders how long it can hang on.

It’s like “homelessness” is an abstract force of nature that’s overwhelming people like a flash flood. Meanwhile the business is anthropomorphized; it has feelings and worries somehow.

4 Likes

Fake news. Theres no encampments in red states (AZ is still a deplorable state, isn’t it? Despite stealing the election for Uncle Joe?).

I think it’s a much more nuanced story than the headline suggests. The author does a good job presenting several angles to a really sad story imo.

Typically the reporters don’t even write the headlines or subheadlines.

A Sandwich Shop, a Tent City and an American Crisis Businesses in Phoenix Struggle As Homelessness Crisis Continues - The New York Times

1 Like

I thought the article was pretty good at showing it’s a problem for all involved and there is no easy solution.

As an aside, my dumb ass doesn’t understand how homeless people survive in Arizona summer with no shelter.

There is an extemely easy solution

Do you have a link to anyone who actually works with this stuff who believes there is an extremely easy solution?

If the solution you’re going with is a giant homeless encampment, like in Phoenix, it seems like you could at least have a fund to buy out business owners like the people in the story.

What if the people working on the stuff are in places where they actually spend money on it? Japan has about a fifth the homeless population they did in 2007 because they decided to house people. Also medical care. There are more than 10x as many psychiatric beds per capita in Japan as in the US. Singapore has a 3 figure homeless population because they have a very different model of property ownership.

2 Likes

The basic difficulty is trying to solve a problem which has federal causes with local action. What is needed is a coherent national strategy. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Norway spends about 5 times as much on public housing as on defense. The US spends about 8 times as much on defense as on public housing.

1 Like

But then people won’t have the freedom to be homeless.

3 Likes

UK (correction: England) has a pretty high rate of people without permanent housing and shows 271k people as “homeless”, but only roughly 2.4k “sleep rough” as they say every night.

At least 271,000 people are homeless in England today - Shelter England.

Most “homeless” are in Temporary Accommodation (TA) provided by the council.

I think most people here have recognized how USA sucks in health care and that doesn’t mean it’s an impossible problem. Same thing with the USA homeless “epidemic”.

(which is largely noticed because the courts decided that it’s unconstitutional for the police to arrest people for camping when there is no alternative provided and also noticed because conservative and “libertarian” “think tanks” are doing what they can to make you very scared)

3 Likes