2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

I want to say my personal record on expert was 90-something seconds.

Definitely possible, and impressive.

Not possible if you have to left click or right click every individual square on expert.

I forget what my best numbers were, but they were good

OoO!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1624450281500024832

1 Like

Are we at (balloon) war with China?

I realize China has a billion people and lots of money but Iā€™m failing to see the upside to lobbing balloons over here to get shot down.

i think a few had already been in flight when biden started shooting them down. and even with navigation, seems they would take weeks to return to china the long way

For me itā€™s a little concerning that government leaders are making very public announcements that they are shooting these things down.

I havent been following.

1. Do we know itā€™s a spy ballon?

2. Do we know its aimed at the US? These things probably float a long way right? Could it be aimed at their own people, or vietnam or something?

Also still have no explanation for why spy balloons are necessary given satellites.

Cheaper? Maybe they have sensor equipment that doesnā€™t work from space (chemical detection, etc)?

Another oneā€¦

https://twitter.com/senatortester/status/1624583787161026560?s=46&t=6ieqKDGMWRwFj086ZSwiHQ

Omfg there is no hope left

My favorite fact about Minesweeper is that it is something like 99.99% solved. But if you could solve the last little remaining bit (or show it canā€™t be solved), you would have effectively solved one of the worlds most challenging math problems (P=NP) and win a million dollars.

1 Like

Spy balloons are helpful for signal intelligence: monitoring electronic communication. Satellites fly too high to pick up some of that. The US does a lot of that using manned aircraft.

Also now China gets to see how our military reacts when stuff floats into our airspace.

What exactly does the bolded part mean?

I made a balloon thread. Itā€™s time.

2 Likes

Basically if you programmed a robot to play minesweeper optimally, it would take a very obscure position to slow the robot down a little.

Forgive my dumb (also Iā€™ve been drinking), but what does ā€œitā€ mean here?