2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

As a liberal that likes to rely on process and procedural requirements, that’s a feature not bug. Their existence is the result of necessary progress.

It’s not.

For those who don’t want to listen to the podcast, this is the article that forms the basis for conversation.

It echoes some of the reasons that I explicitly describe myself as a statist. Libertarian zeal makes for ineffective government. If we want government to work, we need to do the opposite of what libertarians want, giving government more power.

2 Likes

You should give the podcast a listen. The concerns are valid in my opinion, and I’m a liberal attorney whose practice is almost 100 percent tied up in navigating environmental regulations at the state and federal level mostly to accomplish things that are objectively good from most environmental perspectives. Things like NEPA do way more harm than good at this point and could use serious reform to reduce the burdens they place on government action that are much more effective at allowing bad actors to wreck projects than actually getting better long-term environmental outcomes.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/intothemelwoods/status/1622463324679200771?t=hpGDErleoG3qa32hTBFRug&s=19

4 Likes

Well, good thing that the votes of the all those people carry the same weight.

1 Like

Japanese zookeepers believe they have solved the mystery of how a gibbon became pregnant despite living alone in her cage.

Momo, a 12-year-old white-handed gibbon, shocked her keepers at the Kujukushima Zoo and Botanical Garden in Nagasaki in February 2021 when she gave birth despite having no male companionship.

Now two years later, following a DNA test on her baby, the zoo has worked out who the father is – and even has a theory about how the gibbons mated.

The test showed the father to be Itō, a 34-year-old agile gibbon, who was in an adjacent enclosure to Momo around the time she became pregnant.

The zoo told CNN on Friday it believed that Momo and Itō had managed to mate through a small hole in a steel plate between their enclosures. The hole measured about 9 millimeters (0.3 inch) in diameter.

The baby ape – who is yet to be named – now weighs around 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) and is “growing healthily” under Momo’s loving attention, the zoo said.

“It is a precious life born into the world, we will continue to take good care of him and hope that he will live a healthy long life,” said Hideki Hisano, deputy director of the zoo.

Life finds a way.

Except pandas.

2 Likes

So, a gibbon gloryhole…

5 Likes

All this talk about bucket list reminded me of another term that seems like it’s been around forever but hasn’t - happy ending, with respect to massage.

I’m pretty sure it originated with this show:

Men Behaving Badly

Dude, if I’m that male gibbon, I’m not claiming that kid, lest everyone know I have microphallus.

I’d start worshipping baby gibbon Jesus.

4 Likes

Idiotic and cruel. We should be fist pumping these people want to be in this country.

1 Like

I went through this experience some 15 years ago. Luckily for me I had already been talking to another company prior to my position being eliminated. I will never forget my manager, who was also an immigrant, coming to talk to me to say that if I didn’t have another job lined up the company was going to start making arrangements to send me home.

Having that threat over your head was always a pain, as was having to deal with moving H1B visas to different employers every time I changed jobs.

I was lucky that it all worked out for me, eventually getting a green card and then citizenship. My closest friend and roomate in grad school had someone mess up his paperwork while transferring his H1B from a national lab to a private company, and he was forced to leave the country. Brilliant guy, who also made things work back home in the end, but it was a rough situation at that time.

13 Likes

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1624119078804652039

1 Like

Still got it.

11 Likes

Wow Minesweeper and 2+2! Need to switch to Yahoo! Mail though imo.

2 Likes

Lourey is like an economics prof and conservative commentator.

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1623878953235619840?t=CH3L1DpN_Rm2_BpkJzoFrQ&s=19

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/elliottengenMN/status/1623873570731446273

Why don’t you just raise taxes on millionaires instead of trying to track where each tax dollar comes from?

2 Likes

Yeah this guy’s an idiot. Just make school lunch free for everyone (like it is in NYC schools) and make rich people pay more taxes. It’s not quantum physics.