2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/professorbay/status/1622597111979323393

3 Likes

If only they knew about TikTok and the eventual pillarboxed and windowboxed hell it would lead to.

It’s been over two decades, but once a month I think of being a college freshman and pronouncing hyperbole in class as ‘hyper bowl’.

Man.

7 Likes

In law school there were a group of students including me that had to take the Statutory Interpretation final at a different time than the rest of the class (can’t remember what the reason was). It was a take-home exam and there was a typo in the email with the instructions on when the submission deadline was that gave us 30 more minutes than we were supposed to have. I ended up submitting my test only 5 minutes after the actual deadline. The professor still deducted me for the late submission and but for that deduction I would have booked the class (gotten the highest grade). Still a bit bitter over it.

You are correct, hence the “somehow.”

As long as people on the west coast don’t keep saying Pliny like rhymes with shiny for the beer, I’m good.

A friend who had a graduate degree in literature and was kind of an ass, once pronounced gamut as “gamoot”. All of us plebes with only bachelor’s degrees laughed at him.

I told him we could all see through his suede-o intellectual fack-ade.

Clearly I’m still proud of that one 25 years later.

1 Like

No, I mean, wouldn’t everyone still be cutthroat if honors were at stake based on something approximating quality of work product?

Mine was pronouncing infrared with one syllable.

1 Like

When I was in high school, my dad told me Vonnegut was pronounced like “Von-ah-hugh.” Not sure if he was trolling me, but I don’t think so.

2 Likes

Amy Coney Barrett pronouncing poignant with a hard g during her confirmation hearing will always get a laugh from me. That should have disqualified her immediately.

3 Likes

Nah, because the honor based on “class rank” (I think it was Beta Gamma Sigma) was just an afterthought when I was in school. It wasn’t really something we were aware of until the time for the honor drew close.

I still wanted to do well - I wanted to get the A-equivalent grade - but without real grades and no GPA, people allowed themselves to be much more cooperative.

When I was at Chicago, the MBA program had a grade non-disclosure policy, so that employers wouldn’t know students’ GPAs. (I think students could volunteer to reveal any awards they received.) The idea was to encourage students to take tougher (but more interesting/relevant) classes where they weren’t guaranteed an A, and to avoid the sense of competition among students that grades can sometimes generate.

2 Likes

We used to be a proper drinking while driving no kiddie seat country. Remember what they took from us.

Are they latino?

4 Likes

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority spent nearly twice as much on consultants for the Second Avenue Subway as it did to actually dig the tunnel from 63rd to 96th streets, a damning new assessment revealed Monday.

They found that, among its global peers, the MTA is uniquely dependent on consultants and contractors to design, engineer and manage projects. It then fails to properly oversee the hired help, allowing projects to balloon in size and get bogged down in delays.

Each of the three new stations have platforms that are roughly 600 feet long, but contractors dug out twice as much space at the 86th and 96th Street stations to fit the station mechanicals, provide staff changing rooms and office space.

European transit agencies typically fit the mechanicals above the station to save money, but New York takes that space for sprawling mezzanines that typically run the full length of the station.

In Europe, transit agencies have standardized the designs of their stations to cut down on engineering costs, speed construction and to make upkeep and repairs easier and cheaper.

However, each of the three new stations built as part of the Second Avenue Subway features unique designs and components, with little shared between them. Different companies built the escalators for each station.

Wat? Student email is totally fine.

3 Likes

All this talk of grades is very timely as I have a situation that I’m about to have to deal with. My 4th grader brought home a rather curious report card. They are given numeric grades on a 4 point scale. 4 is best and 1 is worst. On each section of the report card there is an overall grade for the subject, and then under that are individual grade for each subtopic on which they had various subtopics and tests.

So for example here was her spelling grade

Spelling Overall 2.5
Spelling Test 1 - 3
Spelling Test 2 - 3
Spelling Test 3 - 3
Spelling Test 4 - 2.5
Spelling Test 5 - 3
Spelling Test 6 - 3
Spelling Test 7 - 3

So my wife had the quarterly parent teacher meeting and she was told that the overall grade is not only based the tests and assignments that are listed, but it’s also based on the teacher’s subjective evaluation of how well they do at the subject based on everything else they see. I guess that’s not totally unreasonable, but it just seems like her subjective evaluation is very different from the objective scores on the tests.

Also, on those tests she got every single question right (each test has 20 questions), except she missed one on test 4. So it seems like even a perfect score would only get you a 3 (on the 4 point scale). Seems weird.

So we’re going to have another meeting to get to the bottom of this. On one hand, I’m worried about retaliation in a variety of ways. On the other hand, I kind of think we at least need to figure out WTF is going on. It wasn’t just spelling. Same sort of thing in math and reading.

Surely one of you more experienced parents has experience with these kinds of meetings. Any advice?

1 Like

Let your wife handle it.

Teachers are insane, but they’d have to be, so.

It’s 4th grade. I wouldn’t worry about it.

2 Likes