2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

ha this is a bit from @internetraj for a long long time. 100% true though.

1 Like

Yeah it’s one of those terms that just immediately sinks in, like “tramp stamp” which instantly ruined the lower back tattoo for women.

1 Like

Right, but I don’t think this makes it obvious, as even if it were made today there would definitely still be a scene like that with the friend not knowing the term, to make sure everyone in the audience 100% gets it, and it might be in the trailers…

Yeah this is probably why it seems hard to believe the name is so recent. This is a concept that has been familiar to everyone for long but just got a new name 15 years ago.
Funny how almost no-one noticed though

I think you guys are missing the point. No one is saying the film invented the term, just popularized it.

1 Like

No no that is the point, a lot of people online are saying the film did invent the phrase (and they also appear to be right ?)

E.g. there’s this blog post from that internetraj person that CN mentioned above

That’s right. Those 107 minutes of milquetoast banter between Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson—which scored exactly zero awards and garnered no accolades—invented the phrase “bucket list.” The phrase we all casually use with regularity, as if it was engrained in modern English vernacular since the turn of the last century? It was created by a movie with a goddamn 42% aggregate critics’ score on Rotten Tomatoes.

1 Like

The Google trends stuff often doesn’t make sense.

Who was randomly googling “bucket list” in 2003? Back then Google wasn’t even the 100% search engine it is now.

1 Like

Hmm, OK. I was just responding to the point that Kath is not saying that and neither is the WSJ or Miriam Webster.

bl

6 Likes

I love how a 2019 preview of Michigan v Rutgers covers this

1 Like

Having read a few of these articles in full now, I think maybe it did come from the film. Some sloppy writing by WSJ and Kath confused me.

I’d be interested in what Miriam Webster has to say about this and where they found an earlier use.

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1620622392300298242?t=uPVvVGBlsJJ4cljzTPw3JQ&s=19

Molon labe

2 Likes

I swear I was familiar with bucket list before that movie but maybe not… :thinking:

As someone who came of age in the 1970s, there are at least a couple of phrases that I don’t recall ever hearing until I was well into my adulthood:

“Ginger,” as in referring to a redhead.
“Walk-off,” as when a baseball team wins in their last at-bat.

Does anyone know when these phrases became commonly used?

Oh I was referred to as a ginger in my early teens (late 90s/early 2000s) before the Gingers Have Souls video went viral

I feel like walk-on/walk-off wasn’t a thing until after I stopped following baseball in the mid-80’s.

Dr. Dre’s wife asked for two million a month in spousal support. Her apparent moderate expenses:

I might have insight on to a more affordable phone plan.

6 Likes

But does it come with email?

I really want to see $900k/month entertainment broken down.

2 Likes

I mean:

But the modern popularity is thanks to South Park:

Fake.