2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

There’s a place in Bakersfield where you can go dig for shark teeth. I took my son and we got a shitload of teeth, but no Megalodons.

http://www.sharktoothhillproperty.com/

1 Like

Love watching herding dogs work. It’s fascinating.

I like Matt Yglesias a lot and I thought this was a great column completely dunking on him. So I imagine that if you don’t like Yglesias (as I know many here don’t), you’re really going to like it.

Really the entire column is worth it just for this comment alone:

Makes me miss when I was a frequent commenter on Deadspin.

3 Likes

Slow Boring, has at least 13,000 subscribers paying an average of $80 per year “for access to his Yglesiasms.”

Holy shit, y’all I will sell you guys my lazy-ass trolling takes for $40 and I can do math properly to boot.

Did you go to Harvard and make a bunch of connections to amplify your faux insights? Because if not, I’ve got some bad news for you.

One of my favorite parts of basis point gate

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1613386518391058435?t=3dU2v2n4K6UjUIyrga3H9w&s=19

2 Likes

That’s a pretty entertaining takedown. Looks like Matt has been struggling with basis points for a while

2008:

2022:

I thought the column was lazy and boring, with the standard no-information snarky criticism of Ygelsias.

Yglesias’ superpower is being both smart and insanely productive. But if you write 100 columns a year on substantive issues, you’ll make a few mistakes. Michael Jordan had bad games.

Lazy comment. Do you think Yegelias has 13k subs due to his “connections”? I’m sure Matt Levine’s Wachtell, Lipton connections are powering his job at Bloomberg. It’s not a coherent critique.

Lol this is brain genius stuff right here

Like it’s totally fine and normal not to know what a basis point is. But to write a footnote that incorrectly defines a term you could look up in 10 seconds and also implies that everyone else is dumber than you. Hoo boy

I don’t dislike Yglesias as much as I dislike circle jerking technocratic types that think that following his daily musings is anything other than entertainment. Have at it though.

You don’t even need to look it up. 4.5 - 4.25 != 25. A first grader could tell you that.

I can only conclude that he thinks the “point” in percentage points refers to the decimal

Like in his head for 4.25%, the 4 is the percent and the 25 is the points

I want to kill everyone reading this right wing furor over their gas stoves. I hate everyone!

He identifies some things with thinking about even if he thinks wrongly about them.

Don’t tease me by not being serious.

2 Likes

It’s the gambler’s fallacy, but in reverse.

Lol it crossed my mind to buy a few tickets there.

BUT NO

I’ll go back to the store I went to last time, which is about a mile from Joe’s. Wouldn’t THAT be a great story!

56 and raining and I’m out ice skating in the middle of Boston on Jan 13th lmao

2 Likes