2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I 100% agree and think my basic plan would have me donating nearly half a billion dollars over the next 30 years. After conversations with my partner, our plan would be closer to $40M off the top:

• $10M for us to live on forever
  • another $10M for us to purchase real estate in the places we want to live
  • $10M trust for my extended family
  • $10M trust for her extended family

The rest goes towards charitable giving over the long-haul. The extended family trusts would be invested similarly with the idea that we could help pay for college and any medical things that come up.

To some other posters’ concerns, I can definitely see how like this would become a headache to manage but is it more or less of a headache than working a standard job that you may or may not like?

This is one of those things where it seems like it would be easy to say, but maybe harder in practice with daily swongs of millions of dollars. I’d like to think I could do it though.

2 Likes

Yeah because your risk of ruin is way lower. You fuck up one year you’re still rich.

I’m pretty confident. Perhaps I reduce it to 40:60 or 50:50 or whatever.

I wouldn’t estate plan either. My heirs would get the investments at a stepped up basis anyway. That gives them a ton of options.

1 Like

Doesn’t it stand to reason that degenerate gamblers are more likely to win the lottery then not degenerate gamblers? And as a follow-up, doesn’t it also stand to reason that degenerate gamblers will generally stay degenerate gamblers?

I can’t imagine a way you could lose 450MM in a lifetime. Buy a new 200’ yacht every month?

But who is holding those stocks for you? SIPC insurance only protects against $500k in losses.

This person got off to a good start. Seems absurd you can only remain anonymous in 6 states.

Good to see she (the lottery winner) got the correct representation… LOL LAW

2 Likes

LOL nice find

Fidelity covers up to $1 billion. But I would probably split accounts into 3 or 4 of the largest brokerages as well.

What if fidelity goes under?

Remaining anonymous is the absolute key.

1. tell nobody
  2. hire a lawyer
  3. make plan
  4. change number and email
  5. claim ticket

Definitely an annuity followed by putting all my money in treasuries directly. What do I care if my money grows bigger if I’gve got over 100 million?

1 Like

Should be fine unless they are illegally mixing customers holdings with operating cash. Tons of brokerages go bankrupt and everybody remains whole.

Edit: maybe not tons so a better way of saying it is that most brokerages that go bankrupt don’t fuck their customers because they have been properly segregating accounts.

Putting that kind of money into regular investment vehicles is a bad idea. That much money opens up whole other opportunities with much better average returns.

Yeah, you should totally be able to bribe politicians and do all kinds of insider trading with that kind of money.

Ha ha maybe ZZ is right and you guys will waste your lives managing the new money. Not me! Brokerages are “good enough”. I don’t need any fancy play if I have a cool billion.

You leave that to a pro and use all the profit to give away.

I snap quit my job and spend my life maximizing my ability to help other people.

1 Like

No thanks.

Turning your money over to “a pro” is a good way to get fucked.

1 Like

It’s not just the extra work of estate planning and taxes. Once you have hundreds of millions you’re going to have every single person you’ve ever known and plenty you don’t constantly trying to get in touch with you. Even if you tell them all to fuck off, you’re going to spending a lot of time doing that. Want to hire somebody to tell them to fuck off for you? Now you have to manage that person. You want to escape to one of your properties to get away from it all? Somebody needs to manage it while you’re not there, and somebody needs to manage your primary home while you’re away. Want to hire somebody to take care of all that? Now you need to manage them as well.

I don’t have a great feeling for how much security you need once you’re worth hundreds of millions, but I bet it’s a whole lot more than none. You don’t really have true privacy anymore because you constantly have security around. Do you have kids? Holy shit, imagine how much you’re going to worry about them getting kidnapped. Now they need security too. I bet that’s a fucked up way to grow up.

Do you have a spouse? What are they thinking, now that you have a 9 figure net worth? Don’t currently have a significant other? Good luck ever finding one you can truly trust. Good luck ever having a relationship with anybody that isn’t tainted by your wealth, except maybe with other really rich people, and they’re all assholes.

I wouldn’t want any of that. Not even for one second.

2 Likes