2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Can someone explain this to me?

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1546646570371883009?s=21&t=RwmZdN_V0h9BtgkkPWHzXA

2 Likes

It’s a lot of galaxies and they’re really far away

1 Like

I’m being informed that a lot of normies are mad about the JWST photos because they “aren’t perfect”

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1546679289831120896

1 Like

Pointy stars, 5/10

10 Likes

If you held one grain of sand at arms length and then looked into the night sky, this is the patch of the universe that would be obstructed.

It’s just mind blowing how much is out there.

The oldest light shown is around 13.5 billion years old, which is 300 million years after the Big Bang.

1 Like

This is an incredible image, imo. Just mind boggling and humbling all at once.

1 Like

So there have almost certainly been an unimaginable number of civilizations far more sophisticated than ours that have gone full cycle, I guess. Impossible to wrap my mind around this.

One thing I don’t get is how you get a crisp image with a 12-hour exposure. It’s one thing if all the object are moving in the same direction so you just figure out their speed and trajectory and have the camera match it, but I assume all these objects are moving a different speeds and trajectories making that impossible. Unless it isn’t a single exposure and they track each object separately then stitch the photos together, which seems impossible given the scale and number of objects.

Impossible. America is the most perfectest nation possible, the obvious apex of all of human history and destined to enjoy unchallenged superiority forever*.

*unless liberals RUIN it with their CRT transgender ANTIFA immigrants!

No fool, god just made all of that for us to look at.

4 Likes

Or… we are the only ones that have made it to this point, which is equally terrifying.

5 Likes

These things are zillions of light years away. The movement over twelve hours or even twelve months from our perspective is zero.

2 Likes

TIL that Hans Zimmer was the keyboardist on “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles.

Only in the video. He didn’t play on the actual recording.

1 Like

A key thing to understand that a lot of people don’t internalize about faraway galaxies is that the farther away from us something is, the faster it’s moving away from us… and the further back in time we’re looking.

When we look at galaxies that are 12+ billion light years away, we’re really looking at some of the first galaxies to exist after the Big Bang (13.7 billion years ago). These galaxies are moving away from us at a significant fraction of the speed of light.

Webb is a big deal because it sees in the infrared, so we can see heavily redshifted light from these galaxies in a way no other telescope has before it. We’re going to learn lots more about how galaxies form, and what happened in the afterglow of the Big Bang, like never before with this tool.

Among many other things. I’m most excited to see how Webb can tell us about atmospheric composition of exoplanets!

8 Likes

Can you see Jesus with this thing?

2 Likes

“What have your heathenous studies of Evolution taught you about the nature of God?”

“If God exists, He has a peculiar fondness for beetles.”

3 Likes

Well duh, beetles are awesome.

1 Like