2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I got “plans to attend Arizona State” from an incognito tab but could not get further down in the article to see what schools actually accepted her.

Arizona State is one of the few schools that actually gives full rides, completely full, to students meeting certain uniform qualifications from all 50 states. So probably a fine choice. She is probably getting a free brand new dorm room, free laptop, a stipend, and free study abroad.

1 Like

That’s also true and is probably the reason the majority of out of state students go there

ASU was definitely a party school in the 1980’s when I was in college. Not sure about now.

Alabama, Oklahoma, and Arizona State have been doing that for 20 years now, giving full rides+ to national merit finalists from anywhere. They all 3 believe it’s way more than worth the investment.

I think Florida does or did something similar. Florida has seen their academic prestige rise the most over this and other relatively outside the box investments, followed by Alabama, and then not sure about ASU and OU

They try hard to tamp down on that but it has varying degrees of success over time

I will also say that more than once I’ve seen people complaining about all the places they got rejected from, like a similar list as this article, but then the more I either talk to the person or read the article, it’s like “they were accepted by Columbia, Cornell, and Duke”

Admissions can be a wilder game than people think. You can easily be accepted by a school that’s “better” than one that rejected you

The Ivy League really only helps you significantly if you want to work in a very small number of high prestige jobs. If you want to be an investment banker, management consultant, BigLaw attorney or academic, it matters. For basically everything else, there is little to no long term benefit relative to lower cost alternatives.

Disagree a little on this one. Wife got a lot of ‘oh you went to [ivy league school]’ when applying for jobs. Wasn’t as big as you’d think though for sure.

I’ve ranted about this before, but the idea that a quality education is a scarce resource we need to hand out to only a select few is so absurd in 2022. Sure there’s some marginal benefit to learning from the mega elite profs at Harvard, but you can get a perfectly decent education that will prepare you for life at any public university in the country. It’s all just pure classist gatekeeping

1 Like

I dunno if I’d go THAT far

Wait until you’re in that situation.

Damn, even the “pay everyone in the company $70k regardless of title” guy may be a scumbag

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/seattle-ceo-and-big-business-antagonist-dan-price-accused-of-assaulting-woman-after-dinner-meeting/

Instead, Seattle prosecutors say that Price cornered the woman in his Tesla sedan after a dinner meeting, attempted to kiss her and then grabbed her throat when she refused. Relying on the woman’s account, city attorneys contend Price then drove her to a North Seattle parking lot, where he proceeded to drive “doughnuts” with her in the car.

Price’s defense attorney, Mark Middaugh, said in an email Wednesday that the allegations against his client are “absolutely false.”

Allegations that Price abused his ex-wife Kristie Colon also surfaced that year. A Bloomberg report recounted an October 2015 TEDx talk given by Colon during which she described being beaten and waterboarded by her ex, without naming Price. Price told Bloomberg those events “never happened.”

I agree with you. But I would hasten to add that the US higher education system has become largely one of “signaling” (this is a well-known view espoused by many educators including my professor at stanford). Many future employers and, dare I say, potential spouses (among others) use the name of the college/university a person attended as a signal of “quality”.

1 Like

I cross-posted the WSJ/Harvard piece in the individual economics thread because I missed it here. Seems strange that she got rejected from all of those places with what they said about her academic credentials. I wonder if they left some stuff out. But she still got into UT Austin, which is a good school, and she has a scholarship to ASU. She should do fine if she remains motivated.

The tone of the piece was pretty irresponsible IMO, just red meat for the WSJ core audience of aggrieved white people. The unstated premise was “it’s impossible for white people now because they’re letting in unqualified minorities” when, of course, white kids are by far the biggest beneficiaries of admissions preferences.

I do find it funny that people are upset that a smaller and smaller portion of upper middle class white people are allowed the opportunity to jump to the class of elites, when it was already a small portion and already pretty arbitrary and overall a very stupid class division to begin with

1 Like

This is the argument for me to spend like $300K to send my kid to Barnard or some shit (no offense to Barnard, and they probably couldn’t get in there anyway, but you know what I mean). I’m not going for it!

I don’t have any professional experience, but I got rejected from a few of the schools on that list in 2001 with better academics and similar extracurriculars, and everything I’ve heard is that things have gotten way tougher in the last 2 years.

1 Like

After reading this I don’t know whether to laugh or cry since my daughter is starting at Barnard in the fall.

:thinking:

6 Likes

Wow that’s amazing lol. Pretend I said “Bennington”. And congrats!

2 Likes