2020 Election Thread 2: 41 DAYS OF TREASON

I’m beginning to think that “economically disadvantaged” and “racially motivated” or pretty much the same thing. Any policies that disproportionately affect the poor are fairly indistinguishable fro those designed to harm minorities.

She initially asked for $500,000 then changed that to millions.

I think most of these places still allow bail for certain charges or at least conditions of release (i.e. home arrest and ankle monitor). And all still allow you to hold someone without bail where warranted.

I mean who knows but she’s been shitting all over Fox. She could get a job at OAN or Newsmax but those are small time and their contracts probably suck ass.

No way shes getting paid though right? Especially when she doesn’t come through?

The CA one must have left discretion to the judge or something.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/status/1330581894841430017

13 Likes
3 Likes

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that Powell is a very religious person a true believer that she’s doing god’s work by keeping the devil (Biden) from taking office and helping Trump (God) remain in office.

Would you be shocked if CNN hired her?

2 Likes

I voted for it because the anti side had an ad with an elderly former official of the NAACP saying (paraphrasing) MIT says the algorithm behind this is a “black box”. As if black box was a code for African-American jail. If you are going to be that dishonest then fuck you.

Hmmm. progressive voter’s guides seem to be split on Prop 25. I figure it’s only a matter of time before these things are gamed, if they aren’t already.

Here’s the YES vote:
https://progressivevotersguide.com/california/2020/general/city/losangeles

• Nearly two-thirds of the jail population—nearly 48,000 people—are incarcerated pretrial, and California’s average bail is $50,000, more than five times the national average. The cash bail system directly ties an individual’s wealth and ability to pay to the question of whether they pose a risk to the community and their conditions of pretrial release. This system is unfair from every angle and perpetuates the cycle of poverty and incarceration existing in many low-income communities, which are also disproportionately Black and brown communities.
  • In New Jersey, where similar legislation passed eliminating the use of cash bail in 2017, overall pretrial incarceration rates have dropped, racial disparities in pretrial incarceration rates have lessened, and the use of invasive monitoring strategies after release have been applied in far fewer eligible cases (8.3 percent) than feared. California’s SB 10 goes further than New Jersey’s legislation by fully eliminating the cash bail system and has the potential to have even more positive outcomes.
  • The bail bond industry uses its influence to lobby for legislation favorable to them, which perpetuates but also escalates the cycle of poverty and incarceration. Passing Prop 25 will permanently end their influence in the political process.
  • If Prop 25 does not pass, voters will be perceived as having rejected SB 10’s reforms, in particular the effort to end the cash bail system. This will be framed as a significant precedent for opponents of criminal-justice reform to use in lobbying and legal arguments to keep the system intact in the future.
  • If Prop 25 passes, community groups will have the opportunity to advance further criminal-justice reforms related to this initiative.

It goes on.

Here’s the one with the NO vote:

Proposition 25 replaces cash bail with an even more restrictive system — handing enormous power to judges, probation departments, and racist/classist “risk assessment” algorithms to imprison defendants before trial, which essentially automates racial profiling. We reject the false dichotomy of choosing the side of mass incarceration or the bail bond industry. Our no vote is in favor of abolition and stronger paths to that end. One such path is Measure J, which includes elements that address pre-trial assessments that would be rendered ineffectual by Proposition 25.

Part of the reason why the Democratic Party supports Proposition 25 is because of lobbying by the influential Service Employees International Union (SEIU), which pushed hard for amendments to the law to give more power and funding to probation officers (who are members of SEIU). These amendments are why progressive groups like the ACLU and Ground Game LA withdrew their support. Our goal is to expand freedom — Proposition 25 does the opposite, likely increasing pretrial detention and coerced guilty pleas. For meaningful solutions to the blight of cash bail, check out sources like the LA County Alternatives to Incarceration Working Group.

FFS - I hate having to vote on this shit. The first thing I did was look for where Ted Lieu stands. I wish he would just publish that. Maybe he did but I gave up looking for it.

Groups opposing Proposition 25 include the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, as well as Human Rights Watch, which has pressed for bail reform but said the law “exchanges money bail for a system that uses racially biased risk assessment tools [and] gives judges nearly unlimited discretion to incarcerate.”

Gov. Gavin Newsom said recently that division within the reform community over Proposition 25 has been “weaponized” by the bail industry to oppose the measure, and its defeat would be a major setback for efforts nationwide to make the criminal justice system fairer.

Great.

2 Likes

Not really and I’m big mad about that

Gotta say that pre election if we’d been asked “after the election there will be a swing state which Trump accuses of not doing enough to rig the election for him, who ya got” I’d have laughed in the face of anyone who suggested Georgia.

17 Likes

Yeah winning GA is wild. That was what we considered easily the most rigged state right?. WTF happened there? Did they clean up their act after the whole deleted harddrives after an FBI investigation and Kemps cheating?

Figured they’d run a clean election to get some of the heat off them because no way Trump loses GA right? Or did Stacy just overcome it all? Mail in ballots fucked up their normal rigging?

2 Likes

I think it’s these 2.

4 Likes

right? Why do we even have a legislature? Isn’t shit like this their job? Not that my state senator or assembly rep are people that will ever vote for anything I want (they’re GOP), but still, they’re the ones getting paid for this shit.

1 Like

Covered this in the other thread:

They made it too easy to vote.

1 Like

Agreed. A lot of their suppression efforts were targeted at in person voting - creating issues at majority black precincts to create long lines, making fewer polling places in black areas, etc.