Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

My working pattern is a little different nowadays, but I’ve spent a lot of time working outside in The Valley, Santa Clarita, Riverside, San Bernardino, etc in the summer and it’s HOT. I’d MUCH rather live in like Seattle weather than San Fernando.

I worked a summer in an un-air-conditioned Coca Cola warehouse - 90 degrees and 90% humidity - doing heavy labor. Lost 10 lbs. in sweat every night.

2 Likes

I just like it cooler or dislike it less. We don’t turn on the heat at all. It’s probably 55 in my house right now and it’s warmed up a little today because of the rain.

1 Like

Yeah, that part of the country sucks. But I’m going to still out-complain you because the last time I was on a roof and it was 100 degrees I was over 50 years old.

Early spring is way worse than winter.

It’s still dark much of the time. It’s muddy, and cold rain is orders of magnitude worse than snow.

1 Like

I don’t mind the heat much if I can wear a swimming suit all day and get wet whenever I want.

Winter is terrible. Fuck cold weather and fuck short days. If winter where you live is not those things then I reject your opinion.

4 Likes

Stuccoed parapets on aluminum-painted flat roofs many days when it was over 110. Winter is still worse.

I hate the cold but also the dark. If I could go to sleep when the sun goes down and not get up until it’s light out, I would.

i was discussing this with a friend earlier, i would really just like less swings. whenever the temperature swings drastically i get sick/allergies. im in florida visiting my mother but where i live nominally it swings so wildly and rapidly that last week was 25 and this week was 70+ which just decimates my sinuses. also we had temps in the 20’s but also 113 within the last year…

i dont even care if its always 40 or always 80, just give me consistency plz…

My kids will be out of the house fairly soon and I’m fantasizing about, as the nomads say, following the T-shirt weather.

https://twitter.com/KerrrryC/status/1208514877003710464

Speaking of the problems of winter…it’s supposed to be an easy day for me because of the rain, but our roof leaked last night, so I am going up on a roof today.

1 Like

As usual the correct answer is it depends

1 Like

Live in Minnesota, hate winter and just about everything that comes with it. Only winter activity I like doing is snowmobiling but that’s only 2 or 3 weekends a year so fuck winter

Move to Hawaii, if you live near the water the high temp basically hovers in the 80s year round and almost never goes above 90

I booked a trip to Alaska last year and it happened to coincide with the polar vortex. Ended up being that Anchorage wasn’t affected by the Polar Vortex and was actually unseasonable warm the whole time I was there (like 32 Deg. F) while the lower 48 were in like negative 60s.

1 Like

It’s like bizarro Beverly Hills Cop.

1 Like

April is the cruelest month

OTOH

Lifeless in appearance, sluggish
dazed spring approaches-

They enter the new world naked,
cold, uncertain of all
save that they enter. All about them
the cold, familiar wind-

Now the grass, tomorrow
the stiff curl of wildcarrot leaf
One by one objects are defined-
It quickens: clarity, outline of leaf

But now the stark dignity of
entrance-Still, the profound change
has come upon them: rooted, they
grip down and begin to awaken

3 Likes

You know what sucks? The Midwest.

5 Likes

Didn’t Dicks say they were discontinuing all firearms sales? I was in there shopping yesterday and the Huntin’ and Killin’ section had wall to wall rifles

1 Like