Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Sounding energized and speaking animatedly, she told CNN on Tuesday that her year was off to a fine start: “I’m cancer free. That’s good.”

Some of the cost increase is due to decreased funding - but a lot is just due to administrative bloat.

Also the CA pension system was kinda crazy before the 2016 reform. It seems more sensible now, but everyone who started work before 2016 is grandfathered in to the old pensions - which is going to take a long long time to work through the system.

One example: accrued sick days get paid out under the old plan when you retire - straight cash. You get 12 sick days a year and there’s no limit on how many you can accrue. So no one ever takes a sick day. They take vacation days instead which cap out at 220 hours or whatever. I took the 401k instead of the pension (I’d need to stay 5 years to get anything and 10 for it to be worth it). But even if I took the pension I wouldn’t get the sick day deal. They fixed that.

As far as employing people - sure that’s better than vulture capitalism. But I’m still not a huge fan of paying people to dig holes then fill them back in (as I sit here bored to tears). Especially if said hole diggers cause kids to incur a lifetime of debt or parents to have to work until they’re 70 to pay off their kids’ college. But on the plus side I guess we’re soaking rich Chinese families for a TON.

FWIW - at my previous job the entertainment company got bought out by one of the biggest companies in the world. I worked at home full time and had literally nothing to do. I complained to my boss that I had nothing to do. He told me I need to create my own job. So I got a side job and basically got paid for 2 full time jobs for a year. I suspect most of my department (an architecture group) similarly had little to do. So bloat certainly isn’t unique to public institutions.

1 Like

Demi Burton, 20, who boarded the May 9, 2019, flight while already sloshed, continued to drink wine until the flight attendants told her she could no longer order alcohol, according to the Mirror.

By then, she had already gotten so drunk that she propositioned several men to get frisky in the lavatory while cruising at 30,000 feet.

But when told that she could no longer drink booze, the unhinged woman kicked, bit and head-butted the crew during her four-hour blowout, according to the report.

Standard Brit holiday

On the Brit theme. Andrew Yang welcomed to the show with some Goat Brit Mark Morrison music, music

Soon, yous \ / \ /

Could somebody please do a walrus reveal? I’m going through withdrawal.

3 Likes

Anyone want an Unstuck Politics T-Shirt?

2 Likes

I just listened to a Python podcast which was a bit sad and had me thinking of @JohnnyTruant. The guest was an obviously pretty brilliant software developer talking about Baysian inference and machine learning and linear regressions and fancy algorithms and other smarty pants cutting edge stuff. He was very excited about it. Aside from a couple trivial examples, every use case was about how to sell crap. Everything this guy has ever done professionally has been stuff like how to have computers understand the sentiment behind short online reviews, or how to predict whether or not an ad will make someone more likely to buy something or how to use map data to figure out when someone is likely to go to some store. And he was enthusiastically looking forward to a future where these predictions will be even better. I’m glad he likes his work, but still kind of sad.

7 Likes

When it rains it pours. Lots of bad stuff has been happening lately but it has only gotten worse.

Justin Bieber has been diagnosed with Lyme Disease. Hopefully they will rename it Bieber Disease and it will draw more attention to those who suffer from it.

Twitter is one messed up place allowing this stuff.

https://twitter.com/aubrey_huff/status/1214656599702159365

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1215133243449589760

About right…Maybe him and Aubrey can run in 2024.

1 Like

Daily Beast did an article about huff and even interviewed him on the phone, turns out he is an even bigger douche bag than his Twitter let’s on and he basically says his divorce freed him to say what was on his mind.

1 Like

More hilarious humor from conservatives.

Seriously the only one who has ever made me laugh is Ron White and I think he is secretly not a conservative. Their humor is all just laughing at the suffering of the less fortunate.

1 Like

I’m kind of surprised to learn that Biebs has ever spent time outdoors where there might be ticks.

2 Likes

Susan Collins promised to serve only one term when first elected right around the time Seinfeld went off the air

1 Like

My buddy went all-in on Krugman being a pedo yesterday so I win $100 if he’s not indicted by the end of the year. :grin:

4 Likes

great bet because even if he is pedo Killary will protect him

5 Likes

I’m not sure which is worse, drawing huge breasts on the Iranian stick women or giving his stick self a Milton Berle-sized dick.

1 Like

I didn’t even notice the second part until you pointed it out here, so thanks for that.

2 Likes

My understanding is that winning the Nobel in Economics grants you more leeway on the pedo thing. Can anyone confirm? Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

I usually roll my eyes at “Real or Onion?” stuff, but holy shit at this:

8 Likes