Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

I’ve had that at a Kurdish restaurant. Doesn’t compete with western desserts imo.

Dessert is the one area western food is better than eastern. On the savoury side, eastern food murders western. It’s not close. On average our food is bland boring crap compared to nearly all eastern food.

The greatest steak dinner ever made can’t compare to a $1 bowl of Khao Soi.

As for Japanese food, their worst competes with our best. :grin:

A good Knafeh is so fucking good. I would say while variations exist in Turkey and all around the area, it’s predominantly a Palestinian dish that is stupidly popular in Israel now.

It has way more in common to “western” desserts than “eastern”. Its a pastry with dairy.

Best dessert on the planet - sticky rice and mango.

1 Like

My spelling is the way you’re suppose to pronounce it. K-ne-feh is also acceptable. The k is not silent of course.

There are quite a few Arabic or Arabic-inspired desserts that will make it big in America eventually. Malabi is a decent bet.

Time to get some Unstuck T-Shirts. Check out this thread

ordering will hopefully happen soon.

2 Likes

That’s another one that just doesn’t do anything for me but apparently tons of people love.

1 Like

Love these things.

Chinese custard tarts are very good, mostly made in Honk Kong…

1 Like

Rewatching and just watched this scene. It would be less jarring if Bartlett had turned into a dragon!

For some reason Tiree makes me think of the island on Father Ted - with windsurfers.

…prolly kite surfers now (#showingmyage)

1 Like

https://twitter.com/benschwartz_/status/1234289438420660224

I’ve been following this since they walked out. Nice to see him getting a small amount of his due.

I don’t like the donut things or red bean/tapioca, but daan taat is really good. We get them at dim sum and they’re usually warm and the crust is super flaky and delicious. Pretty much the only foreign dessert I like, maybe.

20110417-dim-sum-daan-taat

3 Likes

Yeah I guess, but it’s 100% from English custard tarts or the Portugese equivalent.

1 Like

Can someone please explain why active duty military get to board planes first?

Because you live in the heart of a militaristic globe spanning empire way past it’s prime that throws up a facade of deference to mask the rot inherent in its decaying structure.

11 Likes

A major airline here proposed priority boarding for veterans plus an on-air thankyou for service before takeoff (at the veteran’s discretion) and the reaction was so negative, including from veterans’ groups, that they ended up frantically backpedalling and basically apologising for having suggested it. One military figure described it as “faux-American bollocks”.

5 Likes

The right-wing version of political correctness.

Europe has a stranglehold on desserts. You’re comparing the stuff colonialist royalty designed to eat versus “something sweet with whatever our poverty allows” that most other countries managed.

Indian desserts are painfully oversweet. Most Chinese desserts feel like they’re made with the cheapest possible ingredients, oil vs butter, etc. Portuguese tarts > Chinese clones. I like hyper-processed Tiawanese bubble tea or Filipino halo halo type desserts but that’s just nostalgia.