Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1434979462420983809

Reminds me of the joke

Conservatives outside of California: "California is a failed state because of big state regulations

Conservatives in California: Liberals are are trying to take away regulations. Don’t let them

1 Like

Three people, including comedian Fuquan Johnson, died early Saturday after overdosing on drugs at a party in Venice, California police say.

A fourth, model Kate Quigley, who recently dated singer Darius Rucker, is recovering at a hospital, according to a Twitter post by her friend, comedian Brian Redban.

“I’m alive,” Quigley texted him. “I’m not great. But I’m OK.”

Police responded to a home in Venice just after midnight Saturday and found three people dead, KABC reported.

The county coroner on Sunday identified Johnson, 43, as one of the dead, according to the station. The overdoses may have been a result of fentanyl-laced cocaine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/news/california/article254034683.html

Misread “county coroner” as “country crooner” and was momentarily confused

1 Like

The fentany laced cocaine shit is awful. I know two people that were friends of a friend that died from it.

I really don’t get why dealers would want to mix them? Seems bad for business, plus people doing cocaine don’t want that kind of high. But it seems to be pretty common.

Nah this is completely different. That happens for certain people with heroin, because people falling out means a super high. Completely different for cocaine. People who do cocaine aren’t looking for this type of high, and certainly aren’t looking to risk death.

I actually have several friends who stopped doing cocaine when this stuff started happening. I’m sure thats pretty common.

1 Like

No one says cancel your subscription to the NY Times more than you, and no one shares more links from the NYT than you. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Yeah Newsome’s had plans all this time to build projects in the suburbs but he’s just been waiting until the perfect moment. Diabolical!

Is it possible to do so much fentanyl-laced coke that you die w/o ever realizing there’s fentanyl in it? Maybe if you’re also drunk and/or a coke novice I guess.

It would be insane if someone died from a couple lines.

Thats what I’m assuming happened here. One or two times likely killed them. I think thats what happened to my friends friends. It only takes a super tiny amount of it to kill.

I highly doubt they did one line and it felt really weird and they kept doing them. Everyone who does cocaine knows about this tainted fentynal stuff going around, so if someone did a line and it felt super off they would stop.

Amount that it takes to kill you

So I haven’t fully figured out why, but tox/addiction medicine HATE these kind of comparisons. According to them, there’s no real ‘amount that kills you’ and this kind of stuff leads to more bad than good because it’s basically fearmongering.

I’m inclined to agree but I don’t have a hard opinion on it.

When it comes to street drugs, fear mongering of fentynal seems appropriate?

Like do you mean doctors are worried about people being afraid of it being used in the hospital? I guess that makes sense, but people who do recreational drugs should absolutely be terrified of fentynal and its clear it doesn’t take much at all to kill you.

Yes, they’ll argue hard that no drug is bad, including fentanyl. You can check out ryan marino on twitter if you want. He’s going off about it.

https://twitter.com/RyanMarino/status/1360221430806372353

https://twitter.com/RyanMarino/status/1435014659518697473

It’s not bad in a vacuum but the problem is, it does only take a tiny amount to kill you and its getting mixed in with heroin and cocaine and killing a ton of people.

I mean in a perfect world where drugs were legal and you knew what you’re getting I’d agree with this guy. In the world we live in where someone might get a fatal dose of fentynal in their heroin or cocaine it seems appropriate to scare people. That way they can be careful and get test strips and shit and not die.

Whats this guys proposal, people shouldn’t be afraid of fentynal and should just do drugs and hope its all good? That seems dumb as hell.

And most importantly, fentanyl can’t get into your body - and can’t cause an overdose - if you don’t inject, snort, or ingest it.

Um no shit, people aren’t trying to do that. They’re getting bad/tainted drugs and dying. Thus scaring them into being careful seems super appropriate

Looks like I picked a good decade (2020s and my 50s) to stop doing blow!

3 Likes

fentanyl can’t get into your body and you can’t overdose on it unless you put it into your body.

Well shit Ryan, thank you buddy.

1 Like

“can’t cause an overdose - if you don’t inject, snort, or ingest it”

Fentanyl up the butt it is!

1 Like

Lol thinking that you can trust even a person who says they grew/developed/whatever any shit they try to sell you without proving it.

Your dealer isn’t testing for fentanyl and definitely isn’t making it. Why would you trust him/her?

So when you read something from a board certified toxicologist about a tox thing, I’d be super fucking careful before dismissing it like this. Police officers, emts, etc frequently suffer from ‘fentanyl overdoses’ from fentanyl in the air (they’re psychosomatic or vasovagal syncope). San Diego PD just had a pretty ludicrous case.

I go to a walk-in ENT clinic and what is there among the magazines? Old issue of Playboy.

At my barber now and what’s on the table? Yup, old issue of Playboy.

I mean who actually looks at a Playboy at…any public place?

Old men who dgaf any more.