Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

As someone who grew up in a conservative household I can confirm people read Bill O’Reilly garbage (I may or may not be one of them at the ripe age of 10)

JFC

https://twitter.com/jonlemire/status/1429931010960023560?s=21

1 Like

I read one of his books as a young adult.

Goddamn what an egomaniac Bill is.

9/11 nuttery is the left-wing version of vaxx denial, except it’s essentially harmless.

I Don’t Even Own A Television absolutely tore his book apart

1 Like

My mom never stops trying to get me to read one of his “Killing X” books. I think she thinks I’ll see the light if she can just get me to read one.

Know why they stopped releasing new episodes?

Racist dumb dad also reads books. Although he’s probably in the top 10% of republican voters. Still dumb as shit

They bought a television?

4 Likes

If my mom did this I’d probably buy her a real book on the subject and tell her you’ll read “killing X” if she’ll read the real book.

I thought I sensed some minor friction between them their last few episodes. Could have been imagining it though. They might have had to go back to fulltime work also.

I know one of the hosts had COVID.

According to their twitter, a host might have had some mental health issues.

1 Like

Many years ago I was at a municipal library branch. There was a box of free books outside. So, I decided to pick through a bit, and I found, I swear to God that this actually existed once, an old copy of The Objectivist journal. I’m not making that up, there was actually a journal and she was actually its executive editor. Well I’m down for that. So, I throw it in my bag and open it up when I get home. Of course it’s full of the very predictable crazy. One thing that caught my eye was a piece suggesting we should go back on the gold standard. Author was Alan Greenspan.

1 Like

Combination of one of them getting COVID and burnout. Still not clear if they’ll ever be back.

1 Like

Despite getting my undergrad in the humanities, I took the first year Econ sequence because it seemed like the thing to do. IIRC honors Microeconomics was the easiest course I took in college. If there was any math at all I don’t remember it. In fact, the only specific things I remember are that the professor got her Phd from the University of Chicago and that she thought the US deregulation of the airline industry was the single most pivotal moment in history (as she mentioned both of these things in every class section).

1 Like

Well why did she think that lol

Those books are pathetic. Killing Lincoln was so inaccurate they had to release a version with an erratum attached at the end.

Read one and every day send her comments on specific stupid things you read and dumb the book is.

In grad school I sat in on a microeconomics class for a couple of lectures. I considered taking it for fun. But looking through the text, I saw it was sprinkled with partial differential equations and a lot of unfamiliar jargon. It seemed like a lot of work. The professor was all business, a new PhD. So I didn’t take the class.

https://twitter.com/IDEOTVPod/status/1426310046137262081?s=20

2 Likes