Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

So I tried to make a comment about “recency bias,” but Firefox got all red squiggly on me. Must be a weird FF dictionary thing, I thought, but then in Chrome, same thing:

So then I tried Word:

WTF is going on? At least Google gets it:

1 Like

suzzer likes this

I’ve seen him complain about the spell check in browsers at least 5 times

2 Likes

Isn’t this pretty standard for anyone with a clue teaching math. At my kids school, in the earlier years the approach is heavily based on some sort of Japanese style, and this is their stated goal. And as they get older they do something called Singapore math, which is apparently all the rage these days. Same stated goal there too.

lemonade

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this all day and I believe this is the correct ranking:

1. Great poor people food
  2. Great rich people food
  3. Mediocre rich people food
  4. Great median people food
  5. Mediocre poor people food
  6. Mediocre median people food
  7. Bad rich people food
  8. Bad median people food
  9. Bad poor people food

Can you give examples why you ranked “great poor” above “great rich/median” and “mediocre poor” above “mediocre median”?

Great non-white people food is better than great white people food.

I must be misunderstanding this?

1 Like

Expertly prepared shank, ox tail, and brisket are all better than a perfectly cooked filet mignon.

Baguettes are better than brioche.

No, it’s just wrong.

I just looked it up since I’ve never heard of a rule like this, and think he meant: If the sum of the digits is divisible by 3, the number is also.

The digit-sum of a number divisible by 3 is also divisible by 3 (so 3, 6, or 9).

3 → 3
9 → 9
12 → 3
15-> 6
18 → 9
7452 → 9

1 Like

I feel like I just learned those other methods of estimating and then breaking down naturally. I can’t remember for sure. I was damn fast at multiplication and addition flash cards and that shit but that was memorized.

ETA: Also, beat my teacher at around the world in 3rd grade! (nima reference)

Yeah I found that after and figured out that’s what he must have meant. But that’s not what he wrote.

I have 3 or 4 books on the shelf on mental math. I used to be into it but found it’s not really that helpful unless you’re trying to impress nerds.

1 Like

I just know the answer. I don’t think of it that way.

3 Likes

This wouldn’t even bother me. It’s when I type millenium and Chrome has no idea what word I’m trying to type that sends me into a blind rage.

It has some kind of issue with recognizing corrections for double letters. It must be some kind of scoring thing that goes haywire when on double letters.

3 Likes

Yeah I meant a number divisible by 3.